Why can't we say "retarded," but we can say words like "dumb," "crazy," and insane"?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Leftist NONSENSE is why. The "POLITICALLY CORRECT" content crowd. What a bunch of RETARDS!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because the term "mentally retarded" was long used to refer only to people who suffered from clinical intellectual disabilities like Down Syndrome.  It migrated into the general language to mean "dumb" and "stupid" and was used as an insult -- thus it came to be considered insulting to the intellectually-disabled.

It was therefore decided that it would be best not to use the term at all.

"Crazy" and "insane" were never really clinical terms for the mentally ill.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

"Dumb", "crazy", and "insane" are not insulting.

• 1 month ago

You are so right. We should be able to call people with down syndrome retarded WHENEVER we feel like it. Like, they're so ******* annoying already. I just wanna be able to take out my aggression on them whenever I feel like it. So. **** THOSE RETARDS. I hate em. Die. die. die. die.

TRUMP 2020

IT WAS NOT 6 MILLION

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Well I mean... it is a clinical diagnosis. I had an aunt who was mentally retarded, it’s a thing. Using it as an insult would be similarly offensive in theory to using “gay” as an insult to gay people or using “autistic” as an insult for autistic people... like you “can” be edgy and excercise ur first amendment rights and piss all over the “sensitive libtards” but sometimes u can just decide to be the bigger person and have some empathy for what makes people uncomfortable... that’s just my opinion anyway :/

Source(s): Like, my brain
  • 1 month ago

certainly a good question :) made me think a good while haha.

i believe we can't say the word 'retarded' because it was used as a slur towards a very specific kind of person (autistic, adhd, down syndrome, etc.) . it's strange, though, because ive seen people who are autistic who are totally fine with the word. i suppose what im getting at is that it really just depends on the person and what they consider offensive

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

For the same reason we can't say the N word. It's seen as offensive. 

• 1 month ago

"Retarded" is a term dating from the 17th century, now totally obsolete in psychology, and just offensive and derogatory.

• 1 month ago

You can say it, you just have to have enough of a backbone to stand up against the PC police and exercise your 1st Amendment rights.

• 1 month ago

None of those are okay.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.