Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Is it possible to claim housing benefit on a shared ownership property after buying it ?

Well basically i dont work i have a baby however i have enough savings for deposit of the share maybe enough to buy 25 percent share out right but when i have brough this i wont have any money left. My husband works his salary is 1700£ so its a ok amount i can not go back to work for another year or 2 as i am looking after my child if i do go to work then even then my money will go on childcare so its better that my husband works and i dobt i have heard that i can get housing benefit for the rental side if the shared ownership is this something legit?

Salart is £17,000 a year 

Salary*

Rose, I understand that you are desperate but imagine the chaos if anyone could claim HB to pay for whatever they decided to rent.  Personally I would rent Downton Abbey. 

The Housing Association will not accept you unless you can show you can afford the rent and maintenance (which is assessed on 100% of the property, not just on the portion you own) at least at the outset.  If later your husband becomes unemployed, you will be able to get universal credit.

If you cannot remain where you are, you will need to ask your husband's family to evict you.  Then you will be eligible for rehousing by your council.  In the meantime, get onto the council house waiting list.  Costs nothing and you never know.

If husband earns 1,700 a month, then you are NOT getting Housing Benefit girl !  His income is too high

• SCATTY c
      1 month agoReport

..his salary is 1700£ so its a ok amount I.. And I doubt that is a Year do you.  The 17k a YEAR is an update that was not on there when I asked the question 

• Maxi

u will not be able to buy anything with a salary like that, doesn't matter how large deposit u have

• SCATTY c
      1 month agoReport

If you read the question, she says she has enough savings to buy 25% of a shared ownership outright and then wants to claim HB on the bit she rents !  And 1700 a month is over 20k a year, which in some parts may be enough to buy a property

Shared property ownership is very uncommon in my pissant little country called america.

• Tavy

Have both of you talked to a mortgage advisor? I cannot see that on his wage he will get a loan.

You are talking about HB before you have even bought it.

UK