i9-9900 normal VS i7-9700k. Which one is better?

The i9-9900k is too expensive so I'm gonna buy either a 9900 or a 9700k. Which one is better for gaming?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

They're probably going to be close to the same since both processors have an all core Turbo of 4.6ghz. As you might know, when a game is up and running, the game and the system will make use of all the CPU cores. If you're streaming or editing videos then the i9-9900 is probably the better pick. Future games that will be out in a few years will probably use more than 8 threads so the i9-9900 is a better pick for the long term.

The next gen gaming consoles will use a dummied down Ryzen 7 3700x with a lower clock speed but the console CPU will still retain the 8c/16t core count.

When you compare these to the i9-9900k, The answer and results depends on the Game, settings, Screen Resolution and what Graphics card you have powering the system. Neither will make a difference if you're gaming on a 60hz monitor because you're never going to see more than 60fps. If you're worried about Gaming then spend most of your money on the GPU. A CPU like the Core i5-9400f or Ryzen 5 3600 are still great for gaming. The i9 9900, 9900k, and the i7-9700k are only going to make a difference if you're gaming on a 144hz monitor and you need your framerate as high as possible.

If you look at CPU benchmarks for Gaming, you will find that at 4k the Core i9-9900k performs the same as a Ryzen 5 3600. This is because the 4k screen resolution places so much stress on a modern Graphics card that it can barely produce over 60fps in most cases. Thus, 4k gaming doesn't need a bunch of CPU power. However, 2-4 years down the road, thing might change if games need more than 12 threads to run well.

Intel is pretty close to releasing their 10th generation Comet Lake parts which will belong to the Socket 1200 platform. For that matter, Nvidia is not too far away from releasing Ampere. The only thing that blows about new hardware releases is product availability is usually slim for the first 2 months after a release.

Also, at this moment in time, AMD is outselling Intel in the Desktop CPU market. Since the Gaming performance of the Ryzen 3000 series processors is pretty close to the 9th Generation parts, you might want to pick something that's more specific to your needs. If you're gaming at 4k, the RTX 2070 or 2080 Super and a Ryzen 5 3600 would be a more sound pick compared to the i9-9900 and a 6gb RTX 2060.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Like a lot of the top tier items the i9 is better, but not by much.  Unless you have money to burn it would be better to just save it or put it toward a better video card.  Video cards make a much bigger difference with gaming than the processor.  

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/intel-core-i9-9900k-b...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.