Is there such a thing as a home safe that is:?

- Burglar-proof

- Fireproof

- Waterproof

- protects digital data/media

All the safes that I've browsed on the internet are either for data/media (flashdrives, DVDs, etc.), or they're fireproof/waterproof. But, I've yet to find one that includes all these attributes.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Sort of.

Burglar proof safes need to be attached to the structure.   Mine at work is drilled into the concrete of the building. 

Fireproof safes aren't fireproof indefinitely.  They're designed to protect paper documents and only for a short period of time.  You can't put a fireproof safe in a 1500F oven and expect it to last for hours.   15-30 minutes is more like it.   Paper burns at around 400 F so as the temperature in the safe heats up, the paper is going to combust in a matter of time.    As far as digital data/media...again, how long can they withstand heat without being damaged?  

Remember, a small safe can be picked up and removed from the situation.   A burglar proof drilled-in safe is going to stay put if there is a fire. 

• ...Show all comments
    • Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Safes have fire and burglar ratings, each with its own scale of resistance.  Yes, there are 4-hour fire-safes, rated for 2000 degrees, but keeping contents under 350 degrees.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

There is NO SUCH THING as burglar-proof, PERIOD.

EVERY home safe I have every seen fits all of your other criteria.

MOST come as close to burglar proof as the LITERAL BANK VAULT where I work.

• John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A fire resistant safe is two sheets of relatively thin steel with fire retardant in between. They used to use firebrick but surely that has been updated. Anybody with a decent electric drill can just punch a hole through the side. A security safe will be made of solid steel plate. A decent safe will have over an inch thick. The highest rated will have more like 6 inches of it. Except that, of course, steel is a fair conductor of heat. This is why you either get fire or security but not both.

• ...Show all comments
    • John
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Actually I have a fire resistant safe at home in my garage - 12 CF or so, and a TL-30 right behind me as a type this. So I'm really not sure exactly what it is you are trying to say......

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No safe is burglar proof.  A safe is designed to delay a crook, not prevent him.

Ideally it will prevent him by being so difficult to get through that he gives up or, better yet, doesn't even bother to start.  But given enough time, every safe ever made can be penetrated.

The other stuff is a function of materials and gasketing.  Protecting digital media is a matter of keeping it dry and not allowing it to overheat.

Heat protection is also a delaying action, surrounding the contents with sufficient insulation and thermal mass to prevent the contents overheating before fire suppression efforts begin cooling things down again.

No manufacturer is going to claim that anything is proof against fire, water or burglars.  Their products are resistant, not proof.   The reason for that is people like you, demanding unachievable standards.  Some safe builder somewhere offered a "burglar proof" safe which was then successfully cracked and the owner sued them to hell and back.  Some builder offered a fire proof safe, contents were destroyed in a conflagration hot enough to melt concrete, the builder was sued to hell and back.  So no manufacturer anywhere is going to ever describe their safe as "burglar proof," "fireproof" or "waterproof."  It isn't going to happen.  You're going to have to read their description of how resistant their products are, and choose how much resistance you're willing to pay for.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

First, no safe is burglar proof.  If they want to get in, they can, all you can do is make it harder than they want to spend the time and effort.  Same for fireproof, you can get different fire ratings but if it sits in a fire that is hot enough long enough, whatever is in the safe will be toast.

• Joe
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Safe design, like life, is full of compromises.

Looking at your requirements: A safe needs to be fastened to the building structure for meaningful burglary resistance.  But that means some penetrations through the safe wall - which reduces fire and water protection.

You want a waterproof container inside a fire safe, which itself is inside a burglary resistant safe.  That's going to cost a fortune.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Most home safes are not actually burglar proof. Locking a commercial firesafe is not usually advised since a burglar may think there is something worth stealing and either damage it or try to take the whole thing. The best way is to conceal a safe rather than invite attack.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

You are CLUELESS. Your answer couldn't be more DEAD WRONG if it were written by a burglar. On the other hand, it probably was.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.