What's your opinion on Native American Halloween costumes and why?

for preface- I'm a native american man; in a tribe and legally recognized.

I dislike it because it puts us in the same category as mythical beings or fictional characters, but I'm for it because it inspires interest in indigenous history and is way for y'all to express that interest in our culture (even if it's only lightly).

I don't judge those that do it.

What's your opinion?

That's what's Carnival for. 

People also dress up as Geishas, Samurais, Chinese emperors/empresses, African tribesmen, cavemen, Vikings, European royalty, Dracula, astronauts, Donald Trump...

Source(s): My humble opinion

You're an Indian and you say ""Y'all"? I dont think so.

• Scoop1 month agoReport

you realize we live in america right? including the south? like, we don't have some different country to live in with a different dialect, we talk like the people we live around. I'm Choctaw, we're from mississippi, so yeah we say y'all

• I think it's sexy. I don't see anything racist or funny about the costume. That being said it's WHO and HOW you wear it. Same reason I don't care about black face. If it's done with malicious intent not cool but if it's someone just getting creative...who cares.

• Magui

I think it's cool.

You know--every kid I've seen pick a cross racial costume was doing it _because they admired the person of a different race and wanted to be like them_. I think that's a good thing. It's definitely possible to do it in a mocking or racist way but I don't think it _necessarily_ is.

About the same as someone wearing a Toga ... not much at all

Of course I'd be curious to know how you feel about Pan Flute music. Given that the reed flute is symbol for the Roman Latin (or Greco) god Pan. Yet, it often gets assigned to Indio spiritualism. What exactly do you mean when you say it increases cultural interests?

Update - Germans, Anglos, Irish etc. aren’t exactly known for wearing togas. I’m not sure how this is a genetics issue to start with but;

According to Pre-Catholic Roman Latin mythology, Pan may be part of my blood line ancestry. So using a pan flute defiantly falls under Genitus (Genetics) and it’s offensive if you assign a different spiritual meaning to it. But I used the word Indio because indio can mean included by "god the father" and it allows us to look at this from an ethnic stance.

My point was, how can you increase awareness when the US has everything so wrong. Every group in the US does this kind of stuff. You can only laugh at what’s going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEnjKQCu74k

Youtube thumbnail

• Scoop1 month agoReport

I mean it increases cultural interests in that some children may find joy in it and want to research it further, perhaps as one of their mini-obsessions children often have. I'm not sure how it relates to wearing a toga since I'm not too well versed in grecians racially. Are they considered POC? 

Non-whites don't own White people.

• Scoop1 month agoReport

no one said they did

Idc dude

I've not really seen 1 nor heard of this 

actually xisting outside your Question 

you have just postd so who honestly 

cårės yô ?

...........................................................

I consider them offensive and an example of cultural appropriation.

• Satan

I think its harmless fun (when it's supposed to be harmless fun and not thinly veiled attempts at racism)

• Scoop1 month agoReport

I love this comment tbh. Cause even though I'm fine if they're done by ppl who just are interested or find it fun; it acknowledges some ppl absolutely use it to mouth-bop and be stereotypical