Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 month ago

how can i avoid colon cancer?

my mom died at 50 of stage 4 colon cancer, i was 10. i never really worried about it but lately i’ve been really paranoid. i’m 19 now, and colon cancer runs in my family. 1 of my grandmother’s brothers died of colon cancer and one of them died the thing where you get pockets in your intestines and they become inflamed (i forget what it’s called at the moment) and he died overnight. i mean honesty, the main reason my moms cancer got so bad was because she was in a situation where she didn’t have the money to get screened as often as she should have (she rarely went to the doctor and with cancer running in our family, her brother and sisters have been getting colonoscopies since their 30’s but my mom could never afford to/didn’t really care to) she was also an avid drug user (mainly prescription pain pills) and smoker most of her life so she didn’t really feel the cancer or wrote it off as she was feeling bad as a result of the way she lived. anyways, i really don’t want to end up like that, i know how miserable she was and i can’t imagine going through the same thing as her. i’m supposed to be getting colonoscopies starting in my late 20’s or early 30’s but what if i can’t afford it or i get it earlier. is there any way for me to avoid getting cancer? also what are the odds of me getting it?

LAN stfu ur literally an incel

heart ❤️been broke 💔 so many times ⏰ i i don’t 🤷‍♀️know what to believe 💭 yeah 👍 mama 👩🏾 said it’s my fault 👎🏿

It sounds to me like you may have one of the genetic mutations that cause hereditary colon cancer. I don't know the name of the actual mutations themselves, but I do know what they do. They cause Lynch Syndrome (which is what I suspect that your mom probably died from) and something called FAP. Because you have such a strong family history of colon cancer, you need to start getting screened for the disease as early as possible. In your case, since your mom died at 50, you need to start your first screenings when you turn 40, and depending on what your doctor tells you, you may wind up starting younger than that.

I can't predict your odds of getting CRC. I can only say that you have a significantly higher risk of developing it because of your family history. As for how to prevent it, there are many things you can do which will help to reduce your risk. Stay away from alcohol, tobacco, junk food, and soda. Limit your sugar consumption to no more than a tablespoon per day, if that. Sugar feeds cancer and helps it grow, so the less of it you have in your system, the better. Make sure you get plenty of regular exercise, and that you avoid doing a lot of sitting. Get plenty of sleep and manage your stress. And lastly, you need to eat a diet that is rich in fiber and antioxidants, and which is largely plant based. Avoid processed foods like bacon, sausage, and deli meats. Keep your consumption of grilled food (like steak and hamburger) to a minimum. Protein should come from lean meats, fish, and poultry.

Drink lots of fluids, especially water.

Pay close attention to your bowel habits and to what your poop looks like. The first symptom of colon cancer is often a sudden change of bowel habits that lasts for longer than 2 weeks, so it makes sense to pay attention to what you produce when you poop. Feces should have a consistent color, shape, and texture. They shouldn't be excessively smelly- strong odors are a sign that something is wrong somewhere. And if you ever notice that your stools look like they're made of coal, then get yourself in for screening RIGHT AWAY. Bloody, black, or tarry looking stools are always a WARNING SIGN. Take it seriously, and get checked ! That's where a lot of people go wrong when it comes to this disease. They start having symptoms, but they're too embarrassed or scared to go to the doctor, so they end up getting diagnosed at a later stage, when the disease is much harder to treat.

Starve yourself to death. You know I don't think people know all that much about cancer. I once read that they found a dinosaur that had cancer. I'll bet you don't believe that. https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=dinosaur+fossil+...

With all the toxins that has been released into our water supply, who's to know what they may cause. I'm going to tell you something else you won't believe, tobacco is very active AGAINST cancer, it is biologically active against 10 different types and it is most powerful against BREAST CANCER and LEUKEMIA. Chewing tobacco or dipping snuff can actually help prevent a person from getting cancer as the chemicals in tobacco go straight from the mouth into the blood stream and some cancers travel through the blood stream as well plus we have to have blood in lots of places in our body, which may make it the most powerful preventive thing we can use to prevent cancer. People should not use tobacco and alcohol, they just don't mix very well, alcohol may turn tobacco into a killer instead of a healer. People don't know it but tobacco has been used as a healer for thousands of years. I've been told that I would die if I didn't go into the hospital and I told him, I got stuff at home that is a lot more more powerful than anything you got here. I survived my gall bladder rupturing twice. That would've killed me a heck of a lot faster than any cancer would have..

There is no guaranteed way to avoid cancer.

The best anyone can do is minimise their risk.

You cannot alter your genetics (a major risk factor) but you can avoid smoking, drugs, high fat diet, low fibre diet, alcohol, etc. Positive steps include healthy diet, regular exercise and annual health checks including recommended screening tests.

• LAN

You can't.  You are a mentally ill idiot that constantly posts the same questions over and over and aren't intelligent enough to see that constantly posting the same childish idiocy over and over anonymously only proves what a troll and liar you really are.

Feel free to do the one thing you mentally ill attention whores always cower away from and open up your posting history to show everyone just how wrong I am about you being just a childish drama seeking idiot.

• LAN
      1 month agoReport

And you are a childish idiot thanks for posting the emojis like a 12 year old idiot girl to prove it BTW.

In Canada we are using an alterntive test, quite cheaply. See source

There is a simple test you can get done at a lab, prescribed by your doctor. It involves giving a very small stool sample in a special kit they give you. Then they test it. You do not need a colonoscopy unless the fecal test proves positive. 

Also you are far too young to worry about that. 

Eat healthy food with fibre and your system should be good. She lived an unhealthy lifestyle. 

• Starlight 1
      1 month agoReport

Jimmy, anyone who has the kind of family history of colon cancer that this person does cannot use Cologuard. The manufacturer of the test, Exact Sciences, states that quite clearly in all the commercials and literature they produce.

ask a doctor

i'm guessing he'll say something like: diet, exercise, avoid carcinogenic vices like smoking.  and get the colonoscopies.

if you think random people on the internet have the slightest idea what a doctor would say, well there you go

It runs in my family too, father died from it.  Best tip is to AVOID red meat and only eat chicken or pork, stay active and get screened in your 50's or when your doctor tells you to.

• Starlight 1
      1 month agoReport

And anyone who has lost a parent or a sibling to the disease has a 50-50 chance of developing him or herself, LAN. Maybe you know that, since you claim to be such an expert on it.