Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

What should I do with the dog?

My so called friend left the country and left her dog with me. When I tried to call her phone went to v mail. I've been watching him since June and I found a great home of a retired couple for him but now she wants the dog. But she still owes me 5 months worth of money for his expenses. By law how should this be settled?

You should take the owner to small claims court to settle the expenses. 

• ron h

8 MONTHS AGO??  I'd document what I did to contact the owner and let her know that she's got 2 or 3 weeks to pay for the dog's food and vet bills. Tell her that you can't afford to care for this dog and you've found a good home for it.  If she's got family, tell them so that they can contact her or pick up the dog.  Make good notes.  If her cell phone works where she is, send text messages.

Go to China and pretend you not going to eat it

Has she gone to China if not contact your local takeaway they would happily take it off your hands and make a delicious curry..no paws asked

give it away .

Keep it , u need to keep it. Baby bout Ebro. Hues yes

Source(s): Yes

Since you could not contact her & she never bothered to contact you or help with any of the Vet bills, food & all you have done. It became your dog after 30 days. It is called abandonment. She couldn't get her dog even if she filed a law suit against you. She abandoned her dog & it became yours to do with as you saw fit.

You can call Animal Control to find out if she has any claim to the dog. I don't think she does. It would make you feel better if you knew you did right by the dog & that you didn't do anything wrong.

How long did you agree to keep the dog?

At any time did you tell her to come pick up her property (dog)?

Just because she didn't pay you doesn't mean the dog is yours to dispose of as you see fit.

No one here knows whether the property is considered legally abandoned because you didn't tell us where you live or give us any details about your agreement and what has actually transpired.

In my state, one of the steps required for determining that a pet with a known owner has been abandoned is to inform the owner in writing that they must come get the pet within 14 days.   Refusing to return the pet to the owner would be considered theft if within the 14 day period. 

• Brittany1 month agoReport

I gave until October 2019

You need to look at local law. Dogs are considered property so it is likely by law she abandoned the dog after all this time.

• *****

You should consult a local attorney as to your rights and responsibilities before taking any action. Laws regarding abandoned property vary by location.

As an example, absent court action, my state requires that at least 1-5 years have elapsed (depending on property type) before property is considered abandoned and can be transferred to another party, and requires written notice to retrieve the property be issued to the last known address. The one year period would apply to a dog. Rules for government animal control services are different, but you're not animal control. If you lived here, you'd have been within your rights to turn them over to animal control after the contract with her elapsed, but not to transfer them to a new private owner, and at this point, you'd be obligated to give her back her pet and pursue payment for what's owed through the courts. 

Different places have different laws that can vary a ton, and may have one that even specifically applies to pets. My state doesn't have provisions specific to abandoned pets except those for animal control, places a lot of emphasis on respecting private citizens' property ownership rights, and has a lot of seasonal residents, and our laws reflect that. It's important that you sort out what is legal for you to do in your specific location.

• *****
      4 weeks agoReport

Animal Control can take the dog after 24 hours with no care. A private citizen cannot legally re-home a dog abandoned to their care in my state for 1 year, though they can give it to Animal Control. Not saying it's right, but that IS the law in my state.