Why does everyone panic about the corona virus? It’s not that dangerous for the majority of the population so why?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Good question!  In the 14th century the bubonic plague killed off far less than half (only 25%) of the population of Europe, so why did Europeans feel so upset, anyway?  I guess they were just nervous.  Same goes for the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 that killed up to 50 million people.  50 million sounds like a lot, but that was only a relatively tiny fraction of the human race, so I don't know why people were so upset. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

You are not panicked since "it's so far away", but be locked down in a building for 2 weeks while people are getting sick and you'll think differently.

It has the potential to kill about 5-20% of the world's population.

• Jacob1 month agoReport

I read "only 2%"

• D g
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

SARS is a corona virus you think that wasn't dangerous

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It only seems to be serious if you are already vulnerable,i.e old, very young or already ill with something else.

However, it seems to be very infectious and easily spread, though like foot and mouth disease in Uk (2001?) , I don't think journalists rushing to where the latest outbreak is, are helping.

As for the death rate, it's impossible to say how many would have died fairly soon anyway and the corona virus just speeded it up.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cowboy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

2% dead in a world of 7.5 billion makes 1.5 million corpses.

• Jacob1 month agoReport

that is the percentage i read.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

because it kills 2 % of those infected.

Worldwide, that would mean 150 million people

• 1 month ago

Not too worried yet, just cautious. But it seems to be spreading fast and there’s a chance it could mutate, which would be a worry

• Tom S
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What, me worry?

Source(s): AEN
  • 1 month ago

Because most people with a version of the flu don't die in those amounts.

• 1 month ago

yes, it's like the flu, but more deadly and with a faster infection rate. So if it covers the world, which it will, it will be a virus that kills many every year, like the flu but more so. 

Flu kills 10-60k per year, this could be 200k per year or higher.  Flu has a season, this may not, it may get worse in the summer.

edit:

"majority" is 51%, so something that is deadly to 49% of the population, you don't consider a hazard?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.