Ender772 asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

What do I do if my cat dies while Im at work?

okay so say i come home after work and my cat is clearly dead of old age...What would I do? SHould i take it to the vet and have them charge me hundreds of dollars to confirm he is dead and more hundreds to cremate him? or should I go find a random field and bury him...but its texas..so I dont know about that being a possibility...i could get shot!..so seriously..what would I need to do?

i live in apartments...clearly

• patty

when he is dead. get him stuffed.

• Ocimom

You cannot just go in a random field and dig a hole and bury the cat if the land is not yours.  Good way to be shot at from a rancher!  You take the cat to the vet to be cremated (won't cost you any more then $100) if that.  Or you take to a shelter and they will do it for less.

The vet would not need to confirm the death if it is obviously dead and it doesn't cost hundreds of dollars for cremation either.  They can take it off your hands but it would be nice to have it cremated for a small fee and then you can keep the ashes in a pretty box.  It loves you do love it when it is dead.  Don't just dump it somewhere.

Source(s): Cat owner.

Vets do not charge to confirm a pet is dead.   It will be self-evident.

It is very inexpensive to have a pet cremated.   For example, the Plano animal shelter charges $20.  They'll euthanize AND cremate your pet for a total of $25.

You didn't bother to tell us where in Texas you live, but it shouldn't be too difficult for a reasonably intelligent person to consult with their local animal shelter on the subject.  

• Eva

You don't need to take him to the vet to have his death confirmed. You can make arrangements with a pet crematory yourself, so search for one before you need it. Do not bury him on someone else's property. Do you have a relative that would allow it?

Hundreds of dollars to confirm he's dead and hundreds to cremate him?  A little bit hysterical?

Do whatever you want.  He'll be dead.  He won't care.

• marty

I suggest burying it in your yard, you can buy caskets for pets on amazon. I have a cemetary for our deceased pets, and raising 7 kids we had our share of pets.

• Kenny

I can't see taking a dead cat to the vet . Why can't you bury it in the ground where you live ? 

Sorry about your cat .

This happened with my cat Scooter.

I stayed with him for as long as I could (he was clearly dying). And then I kissed him and went back to work. I knew when I got home, he would be gone, and he was.

I'm glad I wasn't there for the very end.

Me and my friends gave Scooter a very special funeral (and there was a foot of snow on the ground!). He is buried in the back yard, and has a home made headstone.