Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Why has awareness of NPD narcissistic personality disorder, exploded in the public within last few years? Books, forums, videos,. Why now?

I hesitate to say awareness of actual NPD has increased. Instead, awareness of an internet pseudo-psychology mishmash checklist of undesirable behaviors cherry picked from everything ranging from "the annoying way my ex used to look at me when he was mad at me" to diagnostic criteria ripped out of context from every personality disorder and addiction in the DSM is what is spreading around.

People are armchair diagnosing everybody they don't like with NPD, it's been fashionable to do so for a few years now. Before that it was BPD and psychopathy, before that it was schizophrenia.

"Narcissism" and "NPD" as buzzwords are super popular lately because the current president displays may striking symptoms that can easily be associated with NPD (or early onset dementia, or addiction, or other disorders). People feel smart and educated throwing out diagnostic labels they can't be bothered to thoroughly research and understand because being able to label people they don't like makes it easier to "other" them and justify their hatred of them without losing any sleep at night or the inconvenience of having to introspect and think on just why they cannot get along with that person.

Probably because the president of the united states is a narcissist....

Obviously, if you study history, it has always been far more common than you think.

Donald Trump, Napoleon, George Patton, Zsa Zsa Gabor and my sister-inlaw are all examples of it.

They're everywhere.....you only have to know how to handle them.

Trump, Narcissistic Personality Disorder-in-Chief.