Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 month ago

Business food prep?

I wanted to know if it's legal to purchase food from a grocery store and prepare it for my business at my place of business for sales. My husband and I are trying to cut costs. Like a customer orders pizza, and we throw Digiorno in the oven, it sounds funny but it's a serious inquiry. We're not just a food place, it's a gaming place and we now want to serve food.

Update:

Also can we use quipment such as countertop ovens and airfryers? 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It's not legal unless you get the necessary certifications, licenses, permits and inspections. There may be state or local zoning, health, building, fire and other codes to be considered.

For instance, Uniform Fire Code (NFPA 1) requires "commercial cooking" to have an appropriate hood/duct/exhaust/extinguisher system installed and maintained. Some counter-top devices may be exempt, but it's up to your local fire officials to decide, once you submit your plans.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jay
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Yes.  And Yes.  Visit the Fiverr site and get a basic restaurant business plan. Read it.  That covers what you can do,

And you will need a food service license.

ALSO:  Look into vending machines.  They have ones that make pizza, cook hot dogs and all kinds of food so you will not even have to have a kitchen

• 1 month ago

YES.  Purchasing food from the grocery is just like when the lady at the corner shop buys her stuff from COSTCO and re-sells it.

It is packaged food.  Yes you are paying 3 times as much when you buy a Digiorno pizza from the grocery as you would pay if you got it from a wholesaler - or - Costco - or Sam's Club or BJ's, but yes, you can do it.

If your primary business is a 'gaming place' then no one expects you to have craft pizzas or any kind of in house prepared specialty food.

Just make certain that you have a food service license or the local government WILL close you down until you do.

YES - you can use both countertop ovens and air friers as long as they have passed inspection by the same people who will issue your food service license.

• Lady Lana1 month agoReport

Thank you so much for knowledge and respect. Some people just don’t know what that is. I’m 

• 1 month ago

Not without the proper license. Businesses selling food that they have cooked need a special license for that, like a restaurant.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

May need a zoning variance, a permit to sell food to the public, permit to store and handle food being prepared for sale, permit to manage others who handle food, a fire inspection, a health inspection, etc.  Go for it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You need to have different sets of licenses to sell food.  Contact the health department.  

If you have a license to sell foods, you can certainly use just about any equipment you see fit.  

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Many places have fire codes that require additional safety equipment for "commercial" cooking, such as hood/duct/extinguisher, and maybe additional fire separations and exits.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's certainly is in the U.K. once the food leaves a store you can do what you like.

Fast food places don't make their own bread for sandwiches do they?

UK

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

No, but fast food places almost certainly need to have the permits necessary to sell food to others, regardless of whether they bought it or made it themselves.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Read the laws yourself, you stupid peasant.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

answer redacted because asker is just a vicious hateful pr­ick

• Lady Lana1 month agoReport

my state website is giving much info, so **** off Jay 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.