J.D asked in Business & FinanceTaxesCanada · 3 months ago

I live in an apartment building on rent. I have an open parking lot and last night someone broke my car's window and stole my wallet.?

It has happened once before. Before I take any step, I would like a lawyer/paralegal or someone who had similar experience to answer me. is the building's management (landlord) some how liable for this damage.

• edward

Even if someone stole your car it is not their problem. They are not liable. Example one girl who lives in an apartment down the street drives an older Jag. Her car gets broken into maybe once a month and yes her parking is outside. The manager is not liable. Another example. I used to drive to work, i don’t leave valuables in my car but people like to check and be sure so they break into it. The hospital is not liable

• L

Why did YOU leave your wallet in your car???????????  Your wallet should be with you at all times.

• Bort

No, the landlord or property management cannot be held responsible for it even if it's a private parking lot. The person that did the damage is the only person responsible.

'it has happened once before'.

So stop leaving your wallet in your car!

If the wallet was never left in the car then probably nobody would have broken into the car to take it. Whoever left their wallet in the car is an idiot!!!

Normally people keep money in their wallets, so someone probably seen the wallet, or known it was there, and thought money was in the wallet. Whoever left their wallet in the car is to blame, for EVERYTHING!!!!

HOW THE **** ARE THEY RESPONSIBLE???

They are in no way liable for the damages or the theft...neither...period.  

Dont waste your time with a lawyer, the management company and/or landlord is not liable for your damages...period. 

• Nuff Sed

People sometimes get legal advice that actually helps them collect money from those whose negligence contributed to their loss. Period.

Many apartments have clauses pretty much saying "park at your own risk," meaning they can't be held liable for jack. You park in their open lot, they are not responsible for ANYTHING that happens to your car while parked there. Only time they could potentially be held liable is if you had a private closed garage, and even then, many will write it off and make you sign it because YOU'RE responsible for closing it and keeping it locked. You live, you learn, you stop leaving your wallet in your car. All expenses are your responsibility. 

• Nuff Sed

Even with signs, a landlord may be held liable for damages or injuries arising from their negligence, regardless of what sort of "release" or "waiver" they may slip into their contracts. 

If you left your wallet in your car, I doubt that any lawyer would take your case.

It's your fault you lost your wallet after leaving it where a burglar could steal it.

• Nuff Sed

It's also the landlord's fault if they provided negligent security, which the victim has to prove.

No. It’s like how they’re not responsible if your apartment gets burglarized. 

Or if you get mugged while getting out of your car in the parking lot. 

• Nuff Sed

The landlord can be liable for a burglary to your apartment, just as they can be liable for damage and theft to your vehicle parked on their property, if you can prove that their negligence resulted in your losses.