Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 month ago

Do these kind of mental hospitals exist? ?

I’ve seen in many movies where a patient (mostly female patients) are locked in their own individual rooms almost like a jail cell and then every now and then a nurse will come to inject them before they go crazy again. Are these types of mental homes or hospitals only exist in movies or do they exist in real life and if they do, are they still being used? 

• LilyRT

I can’t tell you that no place like that exists.  I’ve been inside two acute care psychiatric centers,  and that;s not how it worked there.

it’s considered extremely dangerous to leave a mentally ill patient locked up in a room unmonitored.  Patients (and students) have been seriously injured and died that way.  A lot of patients in mental hospitals are medicated.  But it doesn’t knock you unconscious all day long, every day.  The medication they use every day just keeps them calm, not comatose.  They are usually allowed out into common areas.   The medications that are stronger are only used if they can’t de-escalate the patient safely. But it’s a short term treatment.  

they might exist in real life if they have to seperate the person for some reason