My company laid me off after 35 years ?

I’ve been with my company for 35 years. Last year they had a huge layoff almost every person they laid off was 60 or older. My boss called me into the office last week told me I was being laid off. He laid off 9 other employees again almost all over the age of 60. After 35 years with the company all I received was pay for all of my sick time and vacation time and 1500 severance pay. After 35 years with this company!!! I’m 61 and I’m not quite ready to retire yet. I want to be able to collect my full social security. I have never been laid off or unemployed since I was probably 20 years old and in college. I don’t know what to do with myself. Can anyone offer up any advice? I’ve already filed for unemployment. I’m a chemical engineer. 

Favorite Answer

Talk to an attorney about an age discrimination lawsuit.  Assuming they did lay off mostly people over 60 and most of the people who work there aren't over 60, you should have a good case.

Sad fact of life. I'm only 36 and the company I work for is at risk of collapse, they have been in the news in the financial sector. They asked their bank for more money and they just basically went "nope" so now they are trying to get shareholders to invest more but they are not obliged to. My advice for another job is aim a bit lower, there can't be many chemical engineering vacancies. This is what I will have to do if the company closes, there aren't as many supervisor vacancies in similar businesses, I may have to go back to basics.

• Judy

I'd talk to someone at the EEOC about an age discrimination case.

I think people will be losing their job due to the corona virus, and probably other reasons too. If you don't know what the corona virus is then you can look it up yourself.

I recently read an article saying that people are better off working from home.

I suppose it's a good thing I work from home.

Well good luck finding something to do.

maybe you can get early retirement

• Eva

A group of you should get together and talk to an attorney about an age discrimination suit. Have the laid off employees been replaced or is the company in economic trouble?

maybe you can start getting social security earlier

Given the facts you outline, I'd want to talk to an attorney that handles employment cases.  Ask the attorney about starting an age discrimination suit.  If the attorney agrees there might be a case, start contacting all the other laid-off employees you know of from this lay off and the last one.

Just the lay-off in general, that really stinks that they didn't give you severance pay based on your years of service.  At the very minimum it should have been 1 week pay and benefits for every year of service.  Cheap bastards.

And the plus side, I've been reading of some enlightened companies that place a high value on older employees.  Maybe you'll be snatched up by one of them.

Good luck to you.

PS....I really would pursue the age discrimination thing with an attorney.  Why did they lay you off vs. someone much newer to the company?

• Kyle

this is difficult.  many people work for at will jobs and not contract or otherwise.  with an at will employment, companies can let employees go for any reason at any time, often without giving a reason.  but in turn, an employee can also leave at any time as well.  it goes both ways.

you could try getting your other former colleagues and see if they thought it was a wrongful termination due to age, and maybe file an age discrimination lawsuit.  if you can show you were still effectively doing your job, had good marks from your manager, you could try using that in your case.  especially if you find out they hire anyone new that is a recent graduate, and are usually cheaper to get new hires instead of current employees and giving them raises.  do some research, collaborate, and consider talking with an attorney.  some attorney's will offer free consultations before you retain them to represent you.

otherwise, network.  linkedin, glassdoor, even indeed posts great jobs online.  you may need to cut back on your salary or give a range for your compensation to get some responses.  but some companies don't ask for that until your first interview, which is usually a phone interview with a recruiter.  then just start applying.  it may take time.  if you can get references from your past manager and other colleagues, all the better.

good luck 

Apply somewhere else. They usually match your pay.

🥴 It happens. I've seen it happen. Part of the reason I don't stay with a company long before moving onto the next. Something like that would make me postal.

But it never happens with city, state or county jobs. Should look into it. By 68 you can still retire.