Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 1 month ago

Rate my art ?

Hello! I’ve been trying to improve my art and here’s a drawing I did recently. It’s not done, but what do you guys think about it so far? Is it realistic, is it just okay, etc. please be honest, any feedback is appreciated :) 

The shading and lines all that are great! Try using construction lines though, and make sure the proportions are correct, the incorrect proportions in this mess up the drawing a bit. The eyebrows are a bit too straight and the nose looks a little funny too but yeah you did a good job overall just try working on those parts

• Tim D

"Is it realistic, is it just okay"

If you were trying to create a photo-realistic portrait then no it is not. not remotely okay.

But that is not what portrait painters and drawers are trying to achieve they do not want a hair-by-hair recreation, they want a living breathing human being showing some characteristic of the subject.

None of that means your drawing is not good, it is fairly constructivist and although naive also representational.

What you have done is stop concentrating on your subject and started drawing what you think you should see and not what you can see, you have taken what you absolutely know to be the truth of a nose and decided that what you can see is incorrect and layered your version on top of it – and that is a huge error, you should when making a portrait (or any drawing) spend most of the time not looking at the paper and your marks on it but looking at the model who is sitting for you (or has had their photograph taken).

Again that does not mean that your drawing is rubbish.

"here’s a drawing I did recently. It’s not done" – then don't show it, work on your drawings until you believe it is how you want it to finish and not one centimetre further. Because it is obvious in this case that what is not finished that it is never going to be a photo-realist piece of work – you know it and so does everyone else – but that would only matter if you wanted to say "I am a photo-realist artist". What you should be showing us is a finished drawing (and that does not mean filing in every segment with tone) that you are proud of.

The drawing you show is not complete, (which is kind of like saying I made you a cake, but I didn't bake it so it is running over your shoes) only if you say it is incomplete, if you stopped because you want to make that an artistic statement then that can be valid too.

But instead of beating yourself up about it. Put it in a frame, at the end of the week look at it again and think yes, I enjoyed drawing that despite all the flaws I can tell who it is and how they were posing and that is what I wanted to achieve.

And do not take Anonymous' advice about the hair – the facial features are fundamentally flawed if you want anatomic precision, twitching the hair is going to make it neither one thing nor the other, I happen to quite like it as a drawing, missing portion and anatomical errors as they are.

I think you did amazing. On her left cheek, I'd pull the hair back a bit off her face for a more natural look. 

White = get rid of it

Blue = make the hair straight right toward the top of the shoulder and then create a soft hair cascade over the shoulder

• unknown1 month agoReport

Thank you 😊

A portion of her head is missing

• unknown1 month agoReport

haha I know, it isn’t done!!