Sam asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 1 month ago

Is it illegal to track an IP address?

So, I am not exactly a hacker, but I tracked a person IP. My question is can I get arrested or charged for this? They did not know I was tracking there IP address either. 

• Enigma

Wow,you got an ip address,whoopy. What else do you have? Name? Address? No? You got nothing.....but an ip address.

If it was illegal to track an IP address then they wouldn't be so easily traced

If by "track" you simply mean using an IP lookup website, then no. That's not illegal. You wouldn't be able to do much with it.

Now, if you were using some sort of port scanner and/or trying to launch an attack on that IP, that is a very different story. Your ISP and the other person's ISP may figure out what you're trying to do and you can get into serious trouble.

It seems to me that you really have absolutely no idea what you're doing based on your question so I strongly recommend you lay off the "not exactly a hacker" thing and learn about computer security first, before trying to "hack" or get yourself into trouble.

I love you to the summer and back, it’s not the winter but you’ve frozen my heart and got me warming up my liver. Wherever you are is my home, you know I mean it they say home is where the heart is, you’re the reason mine is beating.