After pregnancy, do you plan on taking your prenatal vitamin for your benefits?

I'm a FTM so I'm debating whether to continue taking prenatal vitamin after delivery or just stick with regular woman vitamin. Did it work for you or is it a myth? 

• MissA
    Favorite Answer

Well... you got pregnant once. Are you going to do so again?

There's nothing magical about prenatals, and the only real benefits of them for a pregnant or prepregnant person over a normal multivitamin are the higher folic acid and iron levels. If another pregnancy is possible for you (testosterone really lowers your odds of conceiving but doesn't eliminate them) then yeah, keep taking them. There's no harm in doing that even if you don't become pregnant. It won't interfere with whatever transition steps you are going through.

If you aren't going to become pregnant again there's really not any point. Take regular multis or prenatals... they mostly cost the same anyway.

• Edna

You can keep on taking them after pregnancy, if you want to. It won't hurt anything. 

If you ask your doctor, he will tell you that 'prenatal vitamins' are really nothing more than ordinary multivitamins and contain no ingredients that ordinary multivitamins don't contain. Manufactures call them 'prenatal' vitamins so you'll pay more for them. If you want to waste your money on them, go right ahead.

• Tulip

Work for what??

• sarah

I was encouraged by my postpartum nurses to continue taking my prenatal vitamins (the bottle actually said they were for postnatal use, too), but didn't do it. For one thing, I forgot to even pack the vitamins in my hospital bag, lol, and for another, I didn't really breastfeed past the first week, so I figured there wasn't really any reason to continue taking them. At my first postpartum checkup, the doctor didn't even ask about them.

"Did it work for you...?"  To do what?  Prenatal vitamins provide vitamins and minerals.   The only difference is folic acid and maybe iron.  So if you've been recommended an iron supplement, might as well just stick to the prenatals if it contains the recommended amount.  If not, there's no added benefits to prenatals over a regular multivitamin.