Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Wtf is wrong with my house heater?

My heater was working fine until I clicked it to air because during the day, it got hotter so I turned it on. The air never turned on and now my heater doesn't turn on! My heater nor air work. Smh.

Normally Operator ERROR. is the issue.

• Steve

Lots of good answers here.  We need more info: Is your thermostat digital?  If so, it may be more involved than one click.  Look at it more closely; play with the menu options.

• Edwena

Probably you do not know how to operate the thermostat. May have it switched off, or you have set a "heat on" temperature that is lower than the ambient temperature. So the thermostat is doing what you have told it to do, but you don't know what you have told it to do.

Put it back to heat mode, get the air conditioning checked.

• elhigh

Was it heating and then you clicked it to AC? Do you have a heat pump? You can't do that.

Digital thermostats won't let you hurt your heat pump - assuming you have a heat pump - by forcing a delay in changeover, but a conventional thermostat will let you do it, and -poof- you blow a fuse or trip a breaker. The changeover valve will try to change the direction of the refrigerant circulation instantly when you flip from HEAT to COOL, and the compressor overloads. Either you blow a fuse, trip a breaker, or destroy the compressor. Hope for your sake it wasn't that last one.

Not a heat pump? Okay, come back with more information. Like: what kind of thermostat (manufacturer and model), what kind of heat/air system (make and model) and finally, is the system still not working? Because if you posted this question immediately after making the flip it may have gone through a time delay since then and now it's working. Lesson there: be patient. It may be doing things you don't understand.

If it's still on the fritz come back with that information. If not, you got lucky.

check the thermostat ... some with batteries refuse to work if the batteries die. if that fails, call for a/c repair service [or, call landlord if you are a tenant] because this is beyond any simple thing you can do at home