who is responsible for fixing it?

3 months ago the lock the mail person uses to open the apts mailboxes all at once broke.the apt manager notified them immediately but the post office says its the apts problem. so which one needs to fix it and how long are they legally take.

Update:

ty for all the responses but I found out it is the usps responsibility to fix the master lock and the apt complexes responsibility to fix individual locks 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

The landlord would typically be responsible for this. I suggest you assume he is the one who needs to fix it, and start bugging him to take care of it. Even if its not his responsibility, he is responsible for getting whoever should fix it, to do their job.  So, just bug him about when it'll be done and if he says the HOA (or whoever) is supposed to fix it, then bug him about when he'll get the HOA (or whoever) to fix it.

• nunya1 month agoReport

its the master key the post office uses to access sections of boxes at a time 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

If your complex was built after say 1980...expect it to be owned by the complex and not the USPS.  

Either way, send a certified letter to your landlord explaining the situation...

• 1 month ago

There is no one universal answer to this. Some mail boxes are owned by the USPS and some are owned by the apartment complex.  If the apartment complex does indeed own it as the USPS seems to be indicating then it is their responsibility to fix it.

Locking mailboxes are not legally required to be included in all states so they may not have to fix it at all.  Mailboxes are often not required to be provided at all.  Tenants have to get a PO box in many areas. 

A deciding factor here is if this broken lock is prohibiting the mail person from being able to deliver the mail.  If it is then it must be fixed regardless. 

• 1 month ago

I would think the apts. would be responsible..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

do you mean between LL and post office?  or you?

there is info on this online.  I have read that the post office owns the boxes and that they don't.  may depend on the type of boxes.

this does not sound like an expensive fix, the landlord should just go ahead and do it.

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Mailbox-The-Basics

Verify whether or not the boxes are owned and maintained by the US Postal Service®.Such boxes should have the picture of the US Postal Service Eagle or a statement similar to "Property of United States Postal Service" on the side.

If the box is owned and maintained by the US Postal Service and is damaged/broken then contact your local Post Office.If the LPO does not service the mailbox, this means the property owner or manager is responsible for the maintenance.

• 1 month ago

It depends on which state you live in and whether or not having a secure mailbox is mentioned in your lease.  

If anyone was to repair/replace the lock on the mailbox it would have to be approved by the landlord, but it is not necessarily required that the landlord fix the lock thus there is no time limit involved is not required by law.  All states (federal law) require a landlord to provide mailboxes to tenants, but not all of them require they be locked.  

If the secured mail box is mentioned in your lease, then state laws regarding maintenance repairs is what matters.  Where I live … once the landlord has received a written request for the repair the landlord has 5 working days to "consider the repair" and another 10 working days to begin working on the repair if deemed required. State laws differ.

If it is an issue of state law, the landlord basically has as much time until cited for the violation which is typically preceded by a warning, thus the length of time is what is deemed by the citing officer.  You may need to call your county building inspector.

• 1 month ago

If USPS installed the original unit, USPS is responsible. The vast majority of the mailbox types used at apartment complexes - there are many types - were installed by contractors when the places were built. Maintenance, repair and replacement are the responsibility of the property owner.

For the master lock, which is accessed by what we called an 'Arrow key' - the same key opens these boxes and the 'blue boxes' for deposit of outgoing mail, and the large green street boxes you used to see (that were for mail storage on routs where carriers didn't have a vehicle), can be supplied to the property owner by USPS, but it is the owner's responsibility to change it.

There is no 'law' on timing. The tenants all need to band together to demand action by the owner. If I lived there, I'd have begun to organize a mass withholding of rent until the problem was fixed. They are not going to evict everybody.

• 1 month ago

The apartment manager needs to get it fixed. The Post Office will not do so.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes - everywhere I have lived it is the building owner's responsibility to provide/maintain/repair the mail receptical:  box on a post, single home door slot,  apartment boxes,  business mail.

• 1 month ago

Of course it's the apartment's problem.  I'm not aware of any legal requirements when it comes to locks, but I probably live very far away from you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.