Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 months ago

Who is the greatest Non-fiction writer in your opinion?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

I can't pick one overall, but I will tell you one I've read with joy and really want more by: A.J. Baime. His average rating on goodreads is 4.45, which for adult readers is almost unheard of. (Bryson's is 4.02, Erik Larson's is 3.96--I think he's very good!) Baime writes history.

• Lv 4
      3 months agoReport

interesting answer;best~subjective:Homer,Thucydides,Herodotus,Timaeus,Shiji,Polybius,Cicero,JuliusCaesar,Livy,JohnTheApostle,Josephus,Plutarch,Suetonius,Zosimus,Zheng,Yasumaro,Bede,Scotus,Geoffrey,Hemachandra,Machiavelli,Creasy,Cody,TE Lawrence,Rommel,BHL Hart,Shirer,H Zim,Hara,Boyington,AudieMurphy

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • humpty
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

This one is really hard to choose without going into categories and genres. For me the best gardening writer is Steve Solomon, based on his abiklity to write and the depth of his personal knowledge. The best history writer is tougher, but boils down to either Barbara Tuchman or Bruce Catton, although Elizabeth Longford is excellent as well.

I guess if I had to pick one it would be Tuchman, who was always aware that reading is a co operative experience between reader and writer, which is why she had a sign above her typewriter that said "Will the reader turn the page?"

I think you need to consider authors in genres to be fair, though. How do you compare Steven Hawking to Barbara Tuchman?

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

John Pilger

Naomi Klein

Hannah Arendt

• chorle
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

I see someone already implied Moses, I don't read much non-fiction. I would guess Charles Darwin and his contemporary Herbert Spencer who coined the phrase "Survival of the Fittest" are likely pretty high in influence. 

Or do you mean which Non-Fiction writer has the best writing skill? I think may of the good living writers of Non-Fiction are writing books like "For Dummies" and "How to best operate that new appliance you just purchased manuals" 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Verity
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Malcolm Gladwell is certainly up there.

• Liz
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

Imo, I'd say it was God. The Bible is a guide for healthy living, hope and happiness. (Psalm 119:105) "Your word is a lamp to my foot, And a light for my path."

Source(s): jw.org
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Tough call, but I really love Ryzard Kapuściński.

Bill Bryson is also great. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.