How do I make my drawings more realistic?

My drawings have always had more of a cartoonish look to them and I would love to know how I could get rid of that

Attachment image

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

use pictures of people as reference, focus on specific areas to improve at a time. you could start with face proportions (especially size and placement of eyes) practice that until comfortable. then try hands, you can look at your non drawing hand for reference. draw what you see and not what you think you should be seeing. the fingers of the hand should overlap more, also the smaller fingers look a bit too small and bend looks unnatural. try using cylinders and spheres to outline the shapes to help bends look natural. 

the main things to work on are the eyes, hands, and size of head compared to body. the lower half of the face looks pretty realistic. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Well, you've got a good start.  

What you need to work on is the details  -  the hand is a basic coloring book outline, too flat, just things outlined (and it's a bit too small for the size of the head above it).  There's more work put in on the head but the jewelry is still all outlines.  

If you put your hand over the top half of her face, the bottom half is excellent. Move the hand down to cover the bottom of the face and the top looks good, but remove your hand and you can see something is wrong.  It's the distance between the eyes and the bottom of the nose, it's too long.

Also remember that the top attachment of the ear is on a straight line from the level of the eye. Her ears are hidden or non-existent.  

Go to google and call up 'drawing the human face chart' and you'll see ones that give good proportions. They'll show that the center of the eye is in a straight line up from the outer edge of the mouth (in most expressions), the inner corner of the eye is right above the outside of the nostril. There is one finger width between the bottom of the nose and the top of the upper lip.  The tip of the nose is horizontal to the bottom attachment of the ear.

Getting the basics down (do a lot of little sketches for practice) can help get the features all placed right.

Here's a link or two to start.

https://thevirtualinstructor.com/facialproportions...

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Draw-a-Fac...

• martin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Try to be accurate in the lines you draw, but color your pictures with splotches of bright yellow, blue, green -- even if it isn't an exact replica of the object. It will bring your picture to life.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Proportions are way off from anything realistic.

Eyes aren't that wide (nor completely black). The head shouldn't be that much big compared to the body. The hand shouldn't be that small etc.

I suggest first drawing some (guiding) lines to make sure you have the proportions right, erasing where necessary and then drawing details inside the boundary (while also making sure that they are proportional to the bigger previously drawn lines).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.