Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

What could be making my cat's BUN level so high (54)? More info below...?

My 18 y/o baby has high BUN but normal range PHOS, K and CRE. I've researched that Kidney failure would cause the CRE to be high as well. Could anything OTHER THAN Kidney failure cause her BUN to rise? Yes, she sees a vet every month but I like making sure I have all oppinions possible. Thank you so much! 😊

Her history below, if wanted...

•Diabetes for one year that has gone into remission.

•Had the Iodine 131 treatment for Hyperthyroidism and has gone to normal levels.

• PR

Ask your vet if it could cause any negative issues to add just a bit of magnesium to the diet.

What has the vet said in regards to your question?

your cat could be dehydrated--that's what my vet said when my cat's level was a little high--if your cat pees A lot that could be the cause---I got one of those water fountains and now he drinks so much more--I also add water into his wet food each day.

• Pelsie1 month agoReport

My cat urinates alot! That is very good to know, thank you so much!

• Sandy

your cat is 18 years old. if it were human, she might qualify for dialysis. but since she's a cat, just make her comfortable. I had one that lived that long too. I took her to the vet, and I watched her suffer for one day. then I went back to the vet to put her down. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's something you need to consider. 

• Pelsie1 month agoReport

I am so sorry to hear about your cat. Can you explain further? Dialysis is for Cronic Renal Failure but if she was at that stage wouldn't her CRE / PHOS be high too?