.
. asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

My in laws said I was rude not eating anything that was served, are they right?

I have allergic asthma and easily break out in hives with any animal products, and I was invited to a dinner party where there was an animal product in each dish. I'm on specialized doctor's/dietician meal plan and diet. The medication I'm on isn't perfect but I feel I have to eat with caution.

If I ate anything they served I would end up in hospital.

• Jane
    Favorite Answer

So basically you have to follow a vegan diet because of your allergies- or is it more complicated than just only eating plant- based food? Did you explain this to your in-laws before the meal about your dietary needs? If so, and they ignored this, then you have some options.

Since they are your in-laws, chances are that you'll have to socialise and eat with them at times, and this means having to be patient with them to encourage them to be more open-minded about food. Invite them round to yours for a vegan meal that's tasty ( hopefully you've learned about cooking good food that suits your nutritional needs). Chat with them about the foods you can eat, make easy suggestions for substitutes, take some food round with you.

Try to be more relaxed - tough I know as you must be constantly worried about having allergic reactions-veganism is much more common now and there are loads of recipes online for delicious dishes that won't set you off.I hope your in-laws aren't just being difficult and rejecting with you! If so, then you have to be the bigger person.

Good Luck!

If a tennis ball was served would you eat it?  If your in laws cannot work with your dietary restrictions then dine elsewhere.

Your in-laws are selfish idiots.  Why should you be ill to please them.  Disown them.

• IvaB
      1 month agoReport

Disowning them is a bit drastic,but they certainly could care more about other family members.

Your inlaws are wrong for criticizing your food choices. No matter what reason you have for not wanting to eat any animal products, it's your business and yours alone. Are you rude? Not if you informed your hosts about your food sensitivities ahead of time--but if you didn't, and you then refused to eat anything you were offered, yes--you were somewhat rude. When you have to eat a specialized diet, you need to tell your hosts that you will not be eating there, or bring your own food, or simply avoid going to any gatherings where no alternatives are served. You should NOT expect your hosts to make special food for you. And ignore what anyone says about your choices. They're your choices. 

Then excuse yourself from the event and stay home.

No it is not rude.  

Personally if I invite people to dinner I ask if there are any food allergies, sensitivities that I have to be concerned about. (If this was a HUGE party this might not be possible) But I would not be offended if someone did not eat a portion of the meal.  

Do not let anyone shame or bully you into eating something that you are not supposed to eat.  And that is what it is bullying/shaming.

• John

Ya don't like the food, stay home. That's MY house and I'm a good cook.

• .
      1 month agoReport

John, you don't sneak an allergen into a recipe and then expect that person that suffers from that allergy to eat it? WOW

Did you tell them in advance that you are unable to eat certain things? If you did, they would be rude to serve them to you.

Obviously you shouldn't have eaten those things.

However, it was horribly rude to show up to a dinner party without informing the host that very common ingredients can put you in the ER.

In no way shape or form would I accept a dinner invitation with those dietary restrictions without at least having a discussion with the host and offering to bring a dish that I could eat.

I call bull crap on your story.

• Coach Simon
      1 month agoReport

My apologies! You should have included that in your question. Tell your husband that you don't get a warm welcome when you go: he should support you because it is to you he made his marriage vows, not them!