Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 month ago

Is it true the worst short stop is better than the best first baseman?  ?

I don’t play baseball or know anything about it but i’ve heard from somewhere that the worst short stop is a better baseball player than the best first baseman because he can actually play short stop. I was just wondering if that was true because it’s very odd to think about.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

No, that's not true.

Shortstop is generally one of the most important positions and therefore its where the best players end up playing, but that does not mean that every SS is a better overall player than every first baseman.

First base is easier to play and its a position where being big & tall actually helps. So its often where big strong players play - guys who are good hitters but maybe not quick enough on their feet to play other infield positions.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

I shortstop wouldnt likely play first base if they don't have the height to make critical reaching catches which can change the course of the game. Thats why most teams pick train their tallest infielder to play first base.

• 1 month ago

I have no doubt that shortstops are better with the glove than first basemen because playing shortstop requires actual athletic ability.

You need only to be tall and be willing to get in front of errant throws to play first base.

You don't even need to be intelligent to play first base; you just knock down, catch or block everything that's hit or thrown at you.

First basemen are, generally, better hitters than shortstops. Teams will sacrifice offense to have a strong defensive shortstop.

• 1 month ago

In baseball, the most agile, best fielding, and best throwing player in the infield is the shortstop. A first baseman has to be as good of a fielder, but doesn't have to be agile or have a great throwing arm.

So, within the context that we're talking about Major League Baseball, that statement can stand up to scrutiny.

However, if we're talking about the full scope of any baseball play, in any league, that would depend on the individual players, and their actual skill level.

Usually, the best player on any given team, throughout all venues of baseball, is either the shortstop or the center fielder.

Source(s): Professional minor-league-baseball player
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Kathy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is not true........

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.