Nicholas asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

When you're walking your dogs down the street, and another huge dog comes flying out of nowhere, and goes to attack your dogs, what to do?

If you have and open carry revolver you shoot it, or you do what I did one time, I tossed both my Shih Tzu's up on the brick mail box down the street before it arrived, or really............I don't know what would have happened.

• ron h

I'm going to start walking my little dog soon and I'm going to make a "walking stick" out if schedule 40 PVC sprinkler pipe.  It'll be about 3 or 3.5 feet long and I'll fill it about 1/3 or so with gravel and cap it.  I'll paint it b/c only blind people are allowed to carry white canes.  I think that would get just about any dog's attention whether it's hit in the head or body. 

In nearly all cases simply yelling at the offending dog does the trick. But in those uncommon situations where it doesn't, you need to be willing to defend yourself.

A swift kick to the ribs and then the teeth should teach the dog a lesson. In my experience I usually only have to yell at the dog to go home. My neighbor's st. bernard went after me twice, and I mean tried to attack me. A 5-iron solved the problem, he doesn't come anywhere near me now.

It has happened to me too many times. I usually yell at the oncoming dog. Tell them to back off or what ever in a very loud and firm voice. That usually does the trick. My dog has been bitten by a larger "friendly dog" once. When that happened without any conscious thought I grabbed the other dog by the rib cage grasping it with all my strength and pulled it away from my dog who was yelping. I then noticed my hand was up in the air and I was going to beat the hell out of the other dog at that point the owner who had yelled "my dog is super friendly" came up. I ended up w/ a 130.00 dollar vet bill and I never saw the other dog or the owners again. The vet told me this happens frequently. There are a lot of stupid dog owners who do not have control of their dogs. Their dogs don't obey them but they do me. A few months back a German Shepard came charging at my dog a Border Collie- if it attacked my dog I was going to kick it in the rib cage as hard as I could and then do what ever necessary to protect my dog. I yelled at the dog and it backed off. I know some people who carry a stick and use it when needed. After my dog got bitten I did for a while. 

• Clinger1 month agoReport

A 9MM works pretty well.

There are no flying dogs in my neighborhood.

My dog weighs 140 pounds, BUT an unleashed dog came out of the bushes and attacked her on a trail walk when she was on lead.  I broke a finger in the ensuing fight and needed stitches on my knee.

She very effectively drove the other dog off, but it was frightening.  I did have a stun gun, but the dog came from a foot away from us, and there was no time.

I friend of mine was seriously injured when she picked her dog up and the attacking dog jumped to grab it out of her arms and bit her in the face.

I have a carry permit, and I do carry a pistol when I walk either of my dogs.  

• Bort

Defend yourself and protect your dog. However you can. 

No matter where a person is location wise everyone has the legal right to defend them self when they're being attacked. Not everyone carries self defense tools, weapons, or firearms and in some areas of the world they are illegal to have so that's not a good, general, answer everyone can follow. The advice everyone can use and follow is how to defend yourself against an attacking dog:1. Raise your knee as they lunge at you. This works flawlessly. You end up either kneeing them in the jaw or chest and they can't reach far enough to bite or scratch you anywhere. Do this repeatidly every time they lunge and they'll eventually give up and walk away. Nobody gets hurt including the dog. If you're with your own dog get between the attacking dog and your own.2. Man handle the dog. If you're dexterious and fast enough, most people are 'in the heat of the moment'. Counter it's lunge attack. Turn your body 90 degrees and grab the dog by it's scruff with your primary hand. Forcefully but gentely hold it's head to the ground. If you have it by the scruff or the back of its skull at the base of it's skull it won't be able to move. Nobody gets hurt including the dog. Yelling and screaming may or may not help. Charging at it isn't going to be successful all of the time either, especially with bigger dogs that are fearless. Yelling and screaming might not effect the dog's approach at all but it will raise other human attention to what's going on and that has a chance of bringing help. 

Source(s): I volunteer at shelters and train bull breed dogs both professionally and volunteer. Especially at shelters and kennels we have to deal with this kind of behavior from unfortunate or scared or dogs that don't know anything other than violence because of their past. What I shared is how we're trained and trained to train other people (helpers) on how to defend against a dog attack. It works, and it works flawlessly every time. The best part about these techniques is they are human, don't use weapons of any kind, and nobody gets hurt including the dog.

Take a stick with you.

I carry around an electric cattle prod. If this were to happen I'd zap the other dog. 

What you do is RUN. If you have no other choice, tase the dog if possible. Pepper spray works alright as well.

• Bort
      1 month agoReport

The other comments are correct. Running is the absolute worst thing you can do. Humans are not capable of out running a dog and a dog's natural instinct is to chase after something that bolts away. 

• patty

pick the dogs up and turn my back to the beast