Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 month ago

What Are The Chances of Cancer Coming Back?

When I was young I had brain cancer and it now has been 9 years since my treatment has ended. Is there a chance that I will have cancer again?

Favorite Answer

I'm eighteen years out of one cancer and nine years out of the other. I still have checkups every two to three years. I don't really think about it, but I do keep my eye on my diary for appointments. I suggest you put it out of your mind but be careful about any new headaches.

In general, if cancer has not returned within 7 years, it is highly unlikely that any of the original cancer cells still exist.  You can assume you beat the cancer if it was at stage 1 or 2 when treated, and if all of the cancer growths were visible on brain imagery, but are no longer present.  But there is no way to know for certain. 

• Lili
      1 month agoReport

This is simply untrue.  Cancer can certainly return after 7 years, having lain dormant in the body. I had a friend whose breast cancer returned after 14 years.  Testing showed it was the same cancer.  This time it metastasized and she died of it.  She is hardly alone.

• Lili

This is something to ask your own doctors. We don't know exactly what sort of brain cancer you had -- there are different kinds -- what treatment you received, nothing.

And we are not doctors, not oncologists.

• lala

Such a long time cancer free 

oH yes you have a good chance to live healthy until 80 

• LAN
      1 month agoReport

This is the same moron that keeps posting the rant about having had a Wilm's tumor.  She has been posting this idiocy for years.

• patty

u can only get checked out for possible spreading. I am sure the dr you had when it was discovered can check to see if it has spread somewhere else.