Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 month ago

Idk what to do ?

I have been having a lot of issues with my rental property and checks I have wrote to them. I have always paid them, always been on time, etc. I am starting a new job and will be working 80-90 hour weeks. So, with having so many issues with previous check, I dropped off a check early to them and dated it for 3/3/2020 (so I didn’t forget and could get a receipt). I did this on purpose so they wouldn’t be able to cash the check until then, as that’s when the funds will transfer from one account to the next. Today, I recently went online and they were told NOT to cash it until 3/3/2020. Well, they went ahead and cashed it anyways. I know what you internet bullies will say about giving them a check early, but I’m living paycheck to paycheck, and working from early morning 7 am until later at night, around 12/1 am, I’m just tired and ready to go to bed, as I have to repeat it all over again. I was hit with a 32.00 dollar NSF fee, on top which is not a priority to be paying, cause 32.00 is a lot to me. Idk what to do, but I’m really upset about it. The teller who accepted the deposit should have carefully eyed each check as well and realized to not run it through the system until the appropriate date. I just feel very defeated about the situation. i just  IDK anymore. 

The tellers are not supposed to carefully eye the dates on the checks. You are responsible for making sure that you don't give anyone the check until you have the money in your account. And checks are often deposited in automated machines (ATMs) or using apps on smart phones. It's not always done at a teller.

• Judy

nice try, but if you wrote and signed the check, post-dating it does not keep them from cashing it. You can call me names if you want to for telling you the truth, But legally the check was valid and could be cashed. The teller did not make a mistake.

You actually committed bank fraud by post-dating your check...

Its nearly impossible to prove criminal intent, so I wouldnt worry about being prosecuted...but thats what you did here.  

You are incorrect on the procedure for processing a post-dated payment though...

• A

it is illegal to write a post dated check, you are at fault regardless of when you told them to cash it,

I don't know why you didn't just Google this.

"The Uniform Commercial Code, a collection of business laws adopted or adapted by many states, gives financial institutions the right to process a correctly written check with a future date. "

Use your banks "Bill Pay" checking account option.

Set it up to send the payment automatically.

• A Hunch
      1 month agoReport

It won't allow this if she doesn't actually have money in the bank to process the check. 

The company is legally allowed to deposit/cash the check when they receive it.  They do not have to wait until the date that you dated the check.

The teller did not have to carefully eye the check before accepting it.  You could have dated it 12/31/2099 and it would still be legal for them to deposit.

Writing a post dated check is not illegal. 

Writing a check without having the funds in the account is always illegal.  It does not matter if you asked them not to deposit it until the 3/3/2020.

You can ask your bank to waive the fee for you.  If you don't have a history of bouncing checks and explain that you didn't understand the law, they will likely make a one time exception. 

Call your bank. They shouldnt have cashed it. The date on the check was future dated. That's bank 101, you dont accept checks for future dates. I would push for the bank to take off the 32.00 hit since it's their fault for accepting it early. Ask to speak to a manager if you have to. That's their fault, not yours.

• Casey Y
      1 month agoReport

Hey there kitten little...leave this to the people who know the answers, rules and laws...