Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 1 month ago

Why can't I access the internet on my Commodore 64?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Sky
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Assuming your anonymously posted question is anywhere near true, you need the correct hardware and software.  People have made some pretty cool stuff for the C64.  You can get either an ethernet adapter or a wifi adapter for the cartridge port, and there are a couple browser programs available (Contiki is one, if I remember right).  I think there's an email client, too.  If you're being truthful and you actually have a Commodore 64 that you want to get on the internet, you're going to have to do your homework and look this stuff up yourself.  Google searches and Commodore message boards can be very helpful.  There are also some youtube videos about how to do it.

Source(s): C64 enthusiast since about 1985, but I don't connect it to the internet
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Robert
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

You might want to consider running a C-64 emulator. The beauty of that is you can run it on a modern machine and have many of the modern resources available.

• 4 weeks ago

An old computer created around 1982 must have some BIOS problems now ..Once you log in to your computer , CHECK THE TIME AND DATE , and if they are not correct ( it is very probable that the chip on your PC doesn't save the changes you make to time and date each time you turn off or restart your PC ) , correct them to the right values ..Browsers now will see your operating system , and hence your computer , as outdated if the time and date are not set correctly , and won't allow you connect to the internet which is now operating on protocols and systems that are incompatible with your outdated system and PC.

• ...Show all comments
    • oyubir
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

Even if the answer was not totally off rail, and if the C64 were a sort of very old PC, running on a outdated OS, with an outdated browser (and none of this is true), then the answer would still be very ignorant of how internet works (that rambling about checking date and versions, etc. Silly)

• 1 month ago

All you need is the right modem and the right software and off you go. There are numerous wiki sites and other hackers who can explain it all in detail.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

need to add an ethernet adapter. xD

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

The internet works just fine without ethernet

• Snezzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You have the wrong computer. IIRC the TX-2 at Lincoln Lab could access the Arpanet, sort of, maybe by Willie Kantrowitz mounting a tape from a PDP-11 or something.

For massive data transfers between MIT campus and LL, a massive version of sneakernet was employed: A 1967 station wagon filled with magtapes.

Her i Norge har vi mange troll, og ingen av dem har tilgang til Internett. Er du en av dem? (Here in Norway we have many trolls, and none of them can access the Internet. Are you one of them?)

• 1 month ago

no NIC. the 64 needs a NIC

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Why would it need a NIC?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Make sure the fiber optic cable is firmly connected and that the processor has at least 8 cores. If it was affected by the coronavirus trojan you will need to download and run Malwarebytes anti malware 1987 edition

• keerok
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

8 cores?!? My Pentium 4 has just one but can access the internet. No. The Commodore 64 wasn't built to for the internet.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Mostly because that computer lacks a network connector.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

It came standard with two serial ports. What more do you want?

• Petter
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You haven't updated your phone modem since 1987?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.