ace asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 1 month ago

Do you consider this a feasible clean energy technology for the future?

The idea is complex yet doable in a 24 hour cycle never that's ending. We would have this large facility in Nevada or open plains type places with crafts the size of large kayaks made out of graphene,titanium and many electrode conductors. A rail gun type device would shoot these things into low earth orbit for a 17,000 mph rotation harnessing orbital energy with magnetic rotors and gyroscopes into the craft which is some high tech lithium battery. Return from either a half or full orbit will be AI guided with propellant and parachutes for collection by workers and shipment to facilities what do you think?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The only energy you're going to get from the ORBIT is a part of the energy that you expended in launching the aircraft or spacecraft.  All my adult life I've been hearing from persons who think we can extract energy from the earth's gravitational field, without spending an equal or greater amount of energy to achieve it.  You are wrong.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

We already have a functioning Fusion Reactor, the Sun.

We just need to make better use of it, and control our population.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You'll lose money faster than Elon Musk and that's saying something.

• 1 month ago

It will take more energy to launch the vehicle than you can collect from the scheme.

It would be a great way to convert a large fortune into a small one.

• ...Show all comments
    • ace1 month agoReport

Hey prof you got a better idea? No then shut it with the right minds it actually could work I know this and all I have is an idea. Your the same loser who told other investors to give it up because thier losers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

This is perfect example, when you end of spending more energy than produced.

• ace1 month agoReport

Not at all assume you have a solar and hydro plant nearby electro charging the rail gun,which is sc fi of course but actually a reality. The battery tech would hold and store 100x times the energy it took to launch the body and re entry would use gas propellants saving all the stored charge.

• 1 month ago

Let us imagine that somehow you could get this to work.  Fine.  Where does the energy come from?  From the orbital energy of the spacecraft.  Which was what was put into it when it was launched.  So this spacecraft lowers its orbit and falls to the earth releasing SOME of the energy that the gun put into it.

• ...Show all comments
    • Andrew Smith
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Yes, but if you do so the satellite slows down.  As it slows its orbit decays and it gets closer to the earth.  Which returns some gravitational potential energy.  Until finally it lands. But the horizontal component of its velocity at the time of landing is "lost" energy.

• 1 month ago

Well done.  I love the elegant simplicity.   Obvious when you think about it - I'm surprised no one has thought of it before.

• Robsteriark
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

@ace: Have you met goring? You’ll get on really well with each other...

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Doesnt seem practical. A railgun would require more energy than could possibly be generated from an orbiting body, and it would be extremely inefficient to have to recover these craft and return them to a facility to put their power on to the grid.

• 1 month ago

LOL!  Who are you, Jules Verne?  8^)

Too many moving parts.  Plus I think it would take more energy to shoot the kayaks into space than you'd get back.  Plus you'd occasionally have a failure that could take out a neighborhood.

Then again, try explaining a microprocessor to someone even 100 years ago.

• ace1 month agoReport

The rail gun is magnetic and based on the mass of the battery crafts it could be equated. Your correct collisions and telemetry could fail,but I think orvbital energy is our future it's consistent and always moving.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.