Should I contact the recruiter again? Or would this seem desperate ?

I applied for a position that I 100% qualify for, is in the field I want to work in, and is exactly what I want to do. I submitted my application in on January 30th, but I haven’t received a response. 

Earlier in February (Feb 10th I believe), I contacted the company’s recruiter via LinkedIn. She accepted my inmail, and told me that she sent my note to the person overseeing recruitment in that role. 

This left me hopeful for an interview. However it’s been over two weeks and I haven’t heard a response. Then today I checked the job posting and see that it was taken down :( But my application says “Received Submission”, not “no longer being considered”. 🤷🏽‍♀️ 

I was thinking about contacting the same recruiter to see if they’re still recruiting for the position. But would this seem desperate? 

Favorite Answer

"Should" doesn't really apply here.  It seems pretty obvious that the company has filled the position with someone else or decided not to hire at at this time.  Unfortunately, you can't rely on companies to inform you that you haven't gotten a job.  

You are free to contact the company, but do not do it via a LinkedIn message.  Call or email the recruiter.What you need to understand is that the company and the person don't have to tell you about the status of the job opening or why you were not selected.  Since recruiters don't make the hiring decisions, they probably don't know WHY.  The best you can hope to find out is whether the position is still open or not-- and you have that info from looking the the job posting.

If they are interested in you...they will call.  If the posting was taken down, they likely filled the role or think they did. 

You may think you are qualified, but what about the person with 5 more years experience and a more advanced degree?  

Sounds somewhat desperate and you've already been told that your submission was received...

You can call and see if there is anything you could do to make yourself a better candidate.  

They have your application materials.

They have your contact information.

They know you are interested in the job.

Are you under the impression they don't know how to dial a phone or send an email?   That's what you're implying if you keep contacting them without invitation.

Don't be a pest.  They know how to hire people.

ETA:  "I wanted to contact to find out the status of the job"   That's none of your business.  They are under ZERO obligation to keep random strangers informed about this.    Your repeated inquiry would be self-entitled and a waste of their time.  

You've contacted them twice.   If they are interested in you they will contact you.   Until then, back off.    Got it yet?

• =)1 month agoReport

I never said they didn’t know. I wanted to contact to find out the status of the job. 🙄

There is never a reason to contact them. Unless they called you and you missed their call. Yes, it seems desperate but that is beside the point. They did not lose your contact number or forget about you. If they are interested, they will call. No employer ever sits there thinking "if only joe would contact us we would hire him".

The only other reason might be if you thought they had strong interest and you were about to take another job.

• Never
      1 month agoReport

I have no doubt many are busy, but I think bothering them would hurt more than it helps. But, I guess if they are not going to hire you anyway, you have nothing to lose.

• Iam

No. Contact the recruiter again and ask for feedback on your application.