Can I press charges?

my ex boyfriend of 8 months used my debit card yesterday for 2 purchases without my knowledge. one was for 5.29 and the other was for 4.09. i know it’s not much but i would like to still press charges if possible considering i thought he deleted my card info and he did this out of random after 8 months with no contact with me. i know it was him because it was used for a game he was obsessed with when we were together and he was the only one with my card information 

• Josa

Go to your bank and show them. Since the purchases were not authorized they'll take it from there.

Why not first do what you should have done 8 months ago, and get a new debit card?  That is the usual procedure when you have given out your personal banking information to someone who is no longer part of your life. 

Contact your former boyfriend and tell him to pay up or you will sue him.  If he does not pay up and you can PROVE it was him who used your card, AND THAT he did not have permission to use it, then have at it and take him to small claims court. 

But, again, get a new debit card because you have compromised your account by sharing your banking information. Which may ruin your case in the long run.

Personally, I would not be so petty or waste my valuable time with a measly $9.38 unauthorized charge. I would get a new ATM card and if and when he tries to use the old one, he will find out it does not work. Priceless.

You absolutely can open a civil lawsuit against the guy.  but good luck proving it was him.

I doubt you can press charges. Might be more of an inconvenience for you to do it. 

Help with my question!

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20200...

Nothing will become of this in legal terms because of the small amount of the purchases (illegal or not). It will simply be thrown out of court. Hopefully you have notified your credit card company and, if necessary, opened a new account. We all get very angry when credit cards are used illegally, especially when we know who ripped us off, but "getting back" virtually never gets anywhere because it happens so often. Forget about the jerk and move on.

• Eva

Cancel your debit card immediately and get a new one. You should have done that months ago. Pressing charges for less than $10 seems extremely petty since you should have cancelled the card when you split up.

• Jenny1 month agoReport

petty or not we have been over for months now and he told me he deleted my card off his phone a month prior to splitting up.

First you can not press charges, only the prosecutor can do that

Second, you contact the issuer of the debit card, tell them there was fraudulent use on the card, and they will investigate and credit back the $10.00 to your account.

If they feel it is worth filing charges they will as they would be the party out of the funds, you will be whole, so you have no claim anymore) but for that small amount not going to happen, it would cost them more to fill out the report (just in wages alone)

Request another card number (it will be done immediately and if you go in person, you will be issued a new card immediately at most banks/credit unions)

Let it go, you will be out nothing, the card issuer will absorb the loss and that is the end of it. With a new card number, not going to happen again 

There seems to be some conflict in the information given.  First you say he "used my debit card" and later you say he "deleted my card info."  With my debit card you must physically have the card to use to, not just the information.

• Jenny1 month agoReport

i thought he deleted my card info off his phone, but he didn’t, he was able to still charge my card for purchases off his phone since it was saved on his phone still

• xyzzy

Actually you can not "press charges" for anything. What you can do is file a complaint with the police. Only the DA can press charges. And for $10 it ain't going to happen. At most an officer may call him and tell him not to do it again.

• y

Does not prove it was him, proves that someone has you info and you should be down at your bank right now, Changing out cards and such. As far as charging him, not worth it.