How do I find a girlfriend?

I'm 25 years old. I want find a girlfriend, but I'm really socially awkward and get nervous really easily. How do I find a girlfriend? Should I just try online dating or do I focus on meeting women in public? I want to try online dating, but is that a bad idea? How do people find partners?

Online dating is the primary way people find partners, so I'd go for that. It also allows you to build up a relationship with someone online, before you meet in person, if that would make you anxious.

You hone your social skills by widening your general circle of friends - both male and female. Join a club/gym/night-school/classes of some sort that interest you.....where you will find other people with similar interests. After a few weeks of smiling and saying hello to everyone and learning the names of everyone in the group (and they learn your name) with casual chat, you will become more proficient and relax instead of being constantly anxious. Through these other people you will meet more people and in these 'safe' groups of known people, you will speak to girls/women and get used to doing so. Better to meet people face to face as unknown, faceless people online may trigger your anxieties once more when you actually get to meet up. If you become used to say, going for a coffee with the people in your classes after the classes finish, you may meet a girl you quite like and you can then ask her if she'd like to go for a coffee on her own with you at the weekend. It's a slow process which you should have been learning in your teens. You are just a bit of a late starter, that's all. But you have to be pro-active about it. Find places/clubs/social soirees where you can meet lots of people and get to know them. Good luck

• Ricky

Meet women in public. Now the question is " how are you going to get good with girls if your not gonna talk to them? You have to go out and talk to alot if girls to get good

• Alan H

Join some local club or society, go to Church, take up volunteering.   All of those will give you extra contacts

• Jason

To be honest, i'm not sure you can....it doesnt matter if its online or in public...socially awkward will happen no matter where you are....you need to move that aside and actually put yourself out there to move forward...nobody wants to go on a date with a guy that cant, or wont, talk to them