Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Is it fair that my job counts funerals, medical emergencies, etc. towards our 5 day off in 12 month period limit?

I am sure this is a commonality among other part-time jobs, but it seems very odd to me. I lost both grandparents in a 12-month period and also had the flu. That is four days I had to be absent (funerals, plus two days off for flu). One more absence is allowed before I am considered for suspension. It does not matter if you have a doctors note or if your mom just died, each call-out is counted towards you. In this case, if I get majorly sick or an emergency before the first absence is out of a "12-month period" I will HAVE to go to work anyways or risk being suspended... It just seems odd and unfair because no one plans for medical problems or deaths...

Is this odd?

Does anyone else have this at their job?

Just a couple things - None of these days "off" are paid. I forfeit my pay if I call-out. Also, there is no paid holidays, I do not get holidays off. 

Also, just want to clarify that I am not complaining. I need a job and this is what I have. I just needed other opinions about if this is usual for other companies and what others think about it. 

When suspension or firing is considered, they take all of the facts into consideration.  The fact that you had two funerals to attend could very well get you excused from being fired or disciplined.

When I worked at a place that had what they called "personal days", I kept records in the event I was called out on my absences. I kept doctor bills and newspaper obituaries.  Luckily, I never needed to produce them, but of course, some things, especially deaths, probably will not be held against your record.

If I happen to lose a job over my absence due to a death in the family, I would plaster that company all over social media for having zero compassion over a death in the family.  My goodness, funerals are part of life and should be respected, not used to fire you. 

Well, unless you were the killer!!

Totally fair.  They could just fire you.

< Also, just want to clarify that I am not complaining >

Never would have thought that.

Yes. The federal government gives employees a certain amount of annual leave, which they earn per pay period. The maximum one can earn is eight hours in a two-week pay period; starting out it's four hours per pay period. Annual leave covers vacations, family emergencies, and bereavement, and can also be used toward absences due to circumstances where you would normally use your accumulated sick leave, if you run out of that. Every time I needed time off for a funeral, I had one less 'vacation' day.

If the federal government can do it, then it's fair for any private employer to do it.

Not a great policy, no.

• Maxi

Fair depends on employment laws and your employment contract and  that depends on the country

• Tavy

We do in the U.K.  employers need you to work, they are not interested in your private life.

First and foremost, your company does not have to offer you any sort of perks or benefits.

If you have a union contract this is addressed in that contract which means it was voted on by the members and put in place.

If you have no contract, the employer can do anything he wants with perks he allows to give his employees.

He can even deny you holiday pay if he so chooses

Is it odd? Not really, is it being a jerk to employees? yes. But there is no law about an employer being a jerk.

And be thankful you get some off time paid off, many do not get a day off with pay

The reasons listed here, to my knowledge, are prime examples of WHY the limited "days off" are given.

Yes, this is common. Look at it from the perspective of the employer, though. Your personal life is very important to you, but running their business is very important to them. Small businesses, especially, can have difficulty filling holes ...so they desire employees who will prioritize their jobs above everything else.

If you have some high level of skill or education, they're usually less likely to let you go because you're harder to replace. If you're doing a job that a lot of other people can do, they're going to hire one of the other people, instead.

Contact labor board in your government area. That is all that can by suggested from no details on location in world, type of job, whether or not you signed an employment contract.