RICKY asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

What is a best alternative for a bagel?

I need to get carbs in my diet and I thought about eating 1 Thomas' Plain Soft & Chewy Pre-Sliced Bagels a day however I read and heard that the human body wasnt made to digest flour. So what is another source of carb that is closes to a bagel? And is the human body meant to digest flour?

Favorite Answer

Let me tell you something~ I have been 'ingesting' flour for probably 54 of my 56 years on this earth, and I am absolutely fine. Eat what you want. If it disagrees with you, don't eat it. This foolishness about not eating all these different foods is a load of bs. Yes, there are some people who do have to be on a restricted diet for health reasons, but if you are a healthy, average person, there is no reason for you to restrict foods just because of a 'study' that has been done, that no doubt has not been fully tested or substantiated.

• .

Eating a bagel is fine, but they do tend to be fairly high in calories. You could go for a whole grain bagel or English muffin, whole grain bread, oatmeal, or something else. People have been eating bread for a very long time, and most have no real trouble with it. SOME people have an intolerance to gluten, but for most people it's perfectly fine to eat bread/wheat products. Generally speaking, your body will get more nutritionally out of a whole grain bread product than a 'white' (refined flour) bread product.

• Adam D

Some people have problems with the gluten in wheat flour - not all, not lots, just some.  Most people do just fine with flour.

Bagels are pretty calorie-dense, but also highly processed.  Less processed (such as whole grains) carbs are healthier - oats, rice, potatoes (if you don't fry them), are all good.

• Pippin

Humans are omnivores.  We are made to be able to eat and digest a wide range of foods.  While some people have an intolerance to gluten, it's NOT common (the great majority of people who think gluten is bad do NOT have celiac disease....), and for the rest of us, flour is just fine.  (Though I wouldn't recommend eating it raw.)

If you prefer to not eat flour -- there are many other grains that contain carbs (rice, barley, etc.). And there are potatoes.

• Mark

Yes, humans are meant to consume whatever they want (humans are omnivores), but if you have a specific gluten allergy (most people don't), you could try Udi's.  They make a variety of gluten-free baked products.