Rebecca asked in PetsFish · 1 month ago

What is this fish? identify fish type!?

What is this fish, my friend was sold it by a pet shop and told it was a Rose barb, we have a rose barb and they look so different, he says the shop had them in a tank with some small angel fish. When he first got it, it had more of a reddish skin, but has since lightened up, I suspect the redness was sores as his ammonia level spiked in tank for short time and wondered if angel fish were maybe attacking it. I this a Rose barb or member of barb family. He was sold this at same time as a zebra barb and golden barb. This looks nothing like the other two. It also spends all its time hiding in this spot despite been the biggest fish in tank.

That is a white skirt tetra, if the petstore employee thought it was a rosey barb they should be fired.  

Yes some stores sell painted and inject tetra and other species, it is a crule practice that kills 90% of the fish it is done to, and it isnt even permanent.  

You can return and tell a manager you were mislead.  Or you can get more skirt tetra to build up a school of 6 or more white skirts.   You can even consider glo fish tetra, as the process that got them to glow in a blacklight was done in a petri dish, and was "if the story is true"  not harmfull to anything except maybe some brainless jellyfish.

• Lee

That looks like a white skirt tetra, with no size clues to go off is my best guess. I will also say that the environment is cruel and unnatural. If it is a tetra it would appreciate being in a shoal of its own kind. Some additional indicator fish too. It will be hiding because it is insecure given the cruel environment it is kept in. 

• Lee
      1 month agoReport

I’m loathed to say it as I think the practice should be criminal but.. this variety are often artificially dyed to bright colours. So if you don’t find natural partners you may find a similar shaped generic dyed fish which is the same species.