Why rock singers are depressed and drugged?

Favorite Answer

They're depressed because they're drugged...  And they're drugged because they're depressed...

These are my observations rather than having any scientific articles backing anything.

Musicians share a lot of similarities with each other. It is quite interesting. I trust that you are being general and do not mean all rock singers. Why have past celebrities abused drugs and are depressed? I think it is very simple, and I am not calling you out on missing it. The business puts immense pressure on you, and we can definitely say that about the music industry. Reason for drug abuse has a high probability imo of stress. Going on your observation of depression, it probably comes from the same factor, or from the drugs. Another thing that I understand is one can mix with the wrong people. Now some can control their intake. Some do not get a desirable affect, an effect that speaks little significance to want more, or perhaps any effect at all from the substances. Some just know how to control themselves and have better willpower. So maybe the ones you notice, that did it for a curious tryout, get trapped and become mentally dependent.

As for a musician, who is someone that likes music, they are very interesting beings who seem to control their emotions from within and play them out through their instrument, so this may include voice. It sounds to me they are very emotional, so perhaps they are more prone to seek out an escape from reality, or feel really great after something awful.

It's not just rock singers, it's all sorts of artists, from painters to authors to directors. Creativity has been shown to have somewhat of a link with depression - particularly manic depression.

There are many individual reasons and they vary case by case.  For example, Janis Joplin is thought to be depressed because she gets a high when she is on stage, but when she went home after the show, she was there alone and that got her depressed. Sometimes a romantic breakup can get a person depressed.

Not all, but most Rockers come from abusive backgrounds

Many ordinary people are too.