Why would my weekly pay be different every time?

I work 48 hour weeks and get paid every Friday. I checked my recent pay stub and saw I got paid my lowest amount ever. It said my hours were cut about half and comparing to my other weekly pay they are all different, mostly by like $4- $30 or by a matter of cents. I am there for consistent 48 hours and if the breaks aren't paid then I work consistent 44 hours a week, but it says 42.50 hours regular and (the company name) 4.78 whatever that is but those don't add to 48 or 44. shouldn't I get consistent pay? If somethings wrong here should I talk to them about it? I get different taxes are taken off but it should be consistent pay for the consistent hours I work right?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Unless you're a salaried employee, your hours aren't consistent to the minute or quarter hour. 

Your pay rate also isn't consistent because some of your pay is at standard rate and some is at overtime rate.

There may also be deductions that happen once a month instead of every week such as your portion of the medical insurance premium.

"If somethings wrong here should I talk to them about it?"   Yes, but do not accuse them of doing something wrong at this point in time.  Ask for an explanation of things you do not yet understand. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

Are you on salary or paid hourly? Try and discuss this with your boss and/or HR.

• 3 months ago

You need to talk to your payroll department.

We don't your company's rounding rules or other things that could impact your pay.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

If you are hourly, you should be paid for the exact hours worked.  Ask your boss what is up.  

• A Hunch
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Most companies have rounding rules and as long as it's applied consistently, it's legal. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • A
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

If your hours paid do not match what you worked you need to go to payroll,  your rate of pay should be consistent, and you should get  time an a half for any hours over 40 if you are in the US

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

List the numbers and the deductions.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.