How much should I charge to tutor a fourth-grader?

I am a high school junior and I have been asked to tutor a fourth-grader. She has dyslexia and needs extra help doing homework, studying for tests, and reading. I have known the family for years and I even babysit their kids from time to time. I have no idea how much to charge per hour.

Favorite Answer

Probably what you'd charge to babysit.  In this scenario, you aren't a professional tutor and you're not being hired due to your demonstrated expertise or training.  You are being asked to help a 10-year-old.  The parents have the knowledge and ability to work with their daughter, they just don't want or don't have the time. 

If, for example, you were tutoring another high school student because you were really good at math and had passed AP Calc, you'd have expertise and could charge more.  

Of course, if money isn't an issue, you can ask the parents what they have in mind since you haven't done this before.  You can agree to their offer or negotiate.

• drip

You are still in high school. Have had no tutoring skills or training and know nothing about how to deal with dyslexia 

I would be charging less than you do to babysit.

• Cu Tie

You do not need to charge anything for this. During my sister's senior year of high school, she tutored her next next door neighbor, who was in his junior year of high school. My sister was 4'11", weighed 98 pounds, and went to a private, all-girls high school, while the neighbor was the star running back on the football team at the local public high school. Their tutoring sessions would take place on nights when neither of them had a football game. They would begin when my sister got home from school, and she would arrive to the neighbor's house wearing her size 8 Adidas Falcon W sneakers. My sister did not charge for the tutoring, and did this out of the goodness of her heart. She made money that year by working during the weekends.