I'd like to plant some flowers that attract hummingbirds and butterflies. Which plants are best and how and when do I plant them.?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

CHECK YOUR LOCAL farmers almanac. it IS A GREAT SOURCE FOR THE INFORMATION YOU ARE WANTING AS SENSE NO ONE HERE KNOWS WHERE YOU ARE NO ONE CAN ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.

• 7 months ago

It's going to depend on where you live, but as a rule of thumb, hummingbirds prefer plants with lots of bright red flowers, so check with your local nurseries, county extension office and local wildlife groups for the best info.

• 7 months ago

The problem with flowers is their blooming season. You need a wide variety of flowers that bloom at different times of the summer. To get the hummers to stick around a humming bird feeder is your best bet. Humming birds have an amazing memory for where feeders are. Some years if we don't get ours out soon enough they will show up looking for the feeder even if it is missing.

• 7 months ago

Every spring we plant canna lily bulbs and hummingbirds love the little red flowers with nectar.  In our region we have to put them in after last frost and take them out in the fall before the freeze.  There's lots of different varieties of colors of flower or leaves, some are short and bushy and some get really tall.  We have some we've been using for decades and a few have gotten over 12-14 feet tall.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ann
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

There are many plants that will attract bees, hummingbirds and butterflies.  The hummingbirds like plants with deep throats, such as trumpet vines, because of their long beaks they use to sip nectar with.  Butterflies particularly like milkweed, and bees are fond of lavender, verbena, salvia, and hyssop.  Some other plants they all like are marigolds (which also keep bugs away because of their odor), and Mexican petunias.

• 7 months ago

You should to buy Bright shined colored flowers that are tubular hold the most nectar and are particularly attractive to hummingbirds. Hibiscus species flowers can attract humming birds easily ,you should try this. you can plant them in every season.but i recommend you to plant in summer.plant hanger looks more beautiful with humming birds.check out some flower pots and hanging flower pots on www.walldecore4u.com

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

Butterflies tend to visit larger, open flowers with a single rather than a double row of petals. (Extra petals make finding the center, and the nectar, harder.) As someone already said, hummingbirds like trumpet shaped.

To encourage butterfly presence, don't use weed killers to eliminate dandelions, their chief source of nectar before summer flowers bloom. Maybe leave them in the area where you will plant the blooms intended for them, and kill them in the lawn?

Once things bloom, the flowers that attract them are butterfly bush, aster, chicory, black-eyed Susan, catnip, daisy, verbena, phlox, coreopsis, snapdragon, purple coneflower, zinnias, bee balm, pansies, and pinks (dianthus).

Trees and shrubs butterflies seem to like are lilacs, firches, poplars, mackberries, tulip trees, azaleas, cherries, and apples.

• A
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Hummingbirds like trumpet shaped flowers as their long beaks can get at pollen that honey bees can't reach. Scarlet trumpet vines, I also get a lot of them on my Bee Balm- these are both perinneals so plant in spring and they will come back every year, Azalea and Rhododendron shrubs are also good for them.   Butterfly bush and Japanense Lilac attract butterflys

• 7 months ago

You can easily google 'flowers to attract hummingbirds' and find lists of them and you can do the same for butterflies. Add the name of your area to that and you may find more specific lists. How and when to plant depends on the plant and the area you're in, as does which plants are the best to choose. There isn't much use in me telling you what plants work here in damp cloudy coastal British Columbia if you are in dry sunny Arizona.

• Barry
    Lv 5
    7 months ago

In the UK the Buddleia shrub or tree is known as 'the butterfly bush' as it's blooms attract all kinds of insects especially butterflies. We tend to plant in the Autumn, your Fall, as watering is generally not needed. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.