john asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 3 months ago

What's one point that makes you doubt evolution?

Favorite Answer

Scientists have literally observed microevolution. I'm not sure how you can doubt something that has been observed by many rational people without doubting 90% of everything you claim to know.

I think there is more room for doubt when it comes to inferences scientists make purely from fossil records. In my opinion, rigorous science means we should be seeking evidence that *contradicts* our existing models. We design systems and control variables so that we can make a hard yes/no answer with respect to the outcome of the experiment. That way we can be confident, even if our current model is wrong, that the model which replaces it must produce the same predictions.

With paleontology and archeology, we don't have controlled experiments. Scientists are more like detectives, trying to piece together a good guess of what happened based on the information they have been given. There is no hard yes or no to whether or not a piece of evidence fits into our current understanding. As a result, there is strong confirmation bias:

- Come up with your own imaginary animal, and there's probably an optimal place for it somewhere between a blob of cells and some modern animal.

- Give it the most outlandish and detrimental physical trait an animal can have, and there's probably a way to frame it as a something beneficial for the survival of the species.

- Make it identical to an existing species but with no gonads, and it will be pegged as a species that branched off due to its niche advantage of asexual reproduction and/or immortality.

I'm not arguing that paleontology is not rational and systematic. It is very much so. The problem is the nature of the work gives room for more doubt despite the rational approach.

• Todd

We have to swallow the implication that if a system sits long enough simply bombarded by radiation from a star, that a chaotic system will have a strange attractor -- a catalyst -- big enough to allow evolution to happen. By big, I mean a seed so strong that it can bootstrap its own growth without being snuffed out right at the beginning. It's quite a leap from a pile of :"stuff" to a thing or things that inherently can adapt to its surroundings. Strange attractors do exist in chaotic systems, but this one is beyond monumental. It's downright unfathomable. But, it happened, and we have proof.

I've never doubted a proven scientific fact.

Ecologies work too well (in my opinion).  Sometimes I suspect that Magratheans are keeping an eye on ecologies so that, say, aphids don't kill all of the plants.

• mokrie

If we evolved from apes then why are there apes that didn't evolve?

The point on creationists' heads.

Nothing.  The proof for it is simply too strong - and, I say this as a devoutly religious person!