Why does twitch streams always lag for me?

Whenever I try and stream in 720+ quality it always lags and buffers, I’ve got a 1000mb download and 100mb upload. What could be the problem?

I mean watching a stream 

Favorite Answer

There can be multiple reasons behind this, as I've occasionally run into this on my connection (which is a 1 Gbps symmetric DSL connection).  IN SHORT, there's a bottleneck somewhere between you & Twitch's servers that you may or may not be able to address.

On stuff that you CAN address is what's being downloaded or streamed ELSEWHERE on the network.  If you have multiple streams running (like 4 video streams, which might NOT at 4K quality) in addition to your Twitch Stream, there might be a bandwidth crunch locally.

If you have less than ideal hardware beyond your gigabit capable router, you may have less bandwidth to work with...  which is my case, as my primary router (802.11ax / WiFi v.6) is located in a less than idea location in my house, so I had to supplement this with a powerline adapter to provide a better connection upstairs.  The powerline adapter is only capable to handling ~250 Mbps (0.25 Gbps) between the older router (802.11ac / WiFi v.5) that's being used as an access point.  If I need a more bandwidth, I would just have to head downstairs to bypass this.

Another things that you could address is the bandwidth your ISP is providing between you & their servers.  Ideally, you're suppose to get nearly all (ideally 95% or better) the bandwidth you're paying for.  HOWEVER, some ISP's may overbook their network availability...  which is why they generally include the phrase "Up to" when mentioning network speeds to evade false advertising accusations.

Beyond this, it falls outside your control as the Twitch server the broadcaster is using (which most broadcasters utilize the closest one to them, NOT for you) might get bogged down, especially when an massive event OR a big-named broadcaster is pulling more viewers than normal...  which might cause minor problems for lesser broadcasters & viewers in general.

It's also possible that there's an issue at a routing point between you & your desired server.  For example, you're in New York City & your broadcaster is utilizing servers in Seattle.  If there's network / server issues happening in Chicago for some reason, your traffic would have to get rerouted to Minneapolis, St. Louis or another major town that your connection typically don't utilize to reach the broadcast server.  Internet traffic around the affected area gets re-routed as well, assuming it down servers are not a critical connection for them.

The only other thing is that your connection to the server may not be stable enough to handle low latency mode, which typically the broadcast buffer is only around 2 seconds in general & broadcast delay of 5 seconds or less.  Normal latency mode generally provides a buffer of 7 or more seconds, but can have a broadcast delay up to a minute.

This won't fully address such issues (again,, there's stuff out of your control), but it should give you some stuff to check out to help you escape rebuffer hell.

If your router is CAPABLE of these speeds, it is irrelevant, it depends on a per device scale to split the bandwidth

maybe it is your pc

Your Internet seems fine.  What are you using for a computer?  Specs?

• Grant3 months agoReport

I5-8600k
      Nvidia GTX 2070 armor
      Ssd
      16gb DDR4 ram
      Msi gaming plus Z390 Motherboard 
      Windows 10

Because you need a capture card