Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesHonda · 3 months ago

Does it matter much who rebuilds a Honda starter?

I have a 2006 Honda Civic that will need a replacement starter.  Dealer wants $950 total to put in a Honda-rebuilt part w/ a 3-yr. warranty; mechanic wants half that to replace w/ a 1-yr. warrantied part.  Does it make much difference who rebuilds a starter?

By one from Auto Zone with an awesome warranty for a fraction of the costs and have a mechanic install. Heck, you might be able to do it yourself with the help of YouTube.

dealers always charge more...

Not really. Starters are just electric motors.  The mechanic wants to do it so let him.  I would...just because of cost...dealer is pricey. The mechanic is pricey too, even at half.  Mind you, I would check Auto Electric stores for a lower price than that. [Yellow pages, phone book your town.]    Or maybe source one for $25. cause I got friends.

Cheap rebuilds are done poorly with inferior parts

$950 should come with a lifetime warranty plus a free five year membership in the "Jelly of the Month Club". The gift that keeps on giving. I'd get a third opinion from a reputable shop. Check the cost of a new starter on an auto parts website like Auto Zone so you know how much they are trying to rip you off for. I'm looking at $185 with a lifetime warranty for an Auto Zone starter for your car. Don't know how they came up with a $950 or $425 parts and labor number for that car.

• Ron

A rebuilt is a rebuilt no matter who does it. I question why it needs a starter

Advance Auto sells lifetime warrantied starters for less then you're being quoted.

Watch a youtube video showing how to put the starter in. It's not that hard to do.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Of course it does. Cheap rebuilds are done poorly with inferior parts.

I'll go with "Coffee Drinker"s logic.

And you might also want to think about how much longer you plan to keep a 14 year old car.

I'd go with the independent mechanic. Even if it breaks after 1 year but before 3 years, you could pay to replace it again and its still the same price as paying the dealership for a longer warranty. And odds are, it won't break again in 3 years.

Or you could ask how much for a brand new starter if you're concerned about it being rebuilt. but that's probably a waste of money too.