Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesHonda · 3 months ago

Does it matter much who rebuilds a Honda starter?

I have a 2006 Honda Civic that will need a replacement starter.  Dealer wants $950 total to put in a Honda-rebuilt part w/ a 3-yr. warranty; mechanic wants half that to replace w/ a 1-yr. warrantied part.  Does it make much difference who rebuilds a starter?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

By one from Auto Zone with an awesome warranty for a fraction of the costs and have a mechanic install. Heck, you might be able to do it yourself with the help of YouTube.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

dealers always charge more...

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Not really. Starters are just electric motors.  The mechanic wants to do it so let him.  I would...just because of cost...dealer is pricey. The mechanic is pricey too, even at half.  Mind you, I would check Auto Electric stores for a lower price than that. [Yellow pages, phone book your town.]    Or maybe source one for $25. cause I got friends.

• 3 months ago

Cheap rebuilds are done poorly with inferior parts

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

$950 should come with a lifetime warranty plus a free five year membership in the "Jelly of the Month Club". The gift that keeps on giving. I'd get a third opinion from a reputable shop. Check the cost of a new starter on an auto parts website like Auto Zone so you know how much they are trying to rip you off for. I'm looking at $185 with a lifetime warranty for an Auto Zone starter for your car. Don't know how they came up with a $950 or $425 parts and labor number for that car.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

A rebuilt is a rebuilt no matter who does it. I question why it needs a starter

• 3 months ago

Advance Auto sells lifetime warrantied starters for less then you're being quoted.

Watch a youtube video showing how to put the starter in. It's not that hard to do.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 3 months ago

Of course it does. Cheap rebuilds are done poorly with inferior parts.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

I'll go with "Coffee Drinker"s logic.

And you might also want to think about how much longer you plan to keep a 14 year old car.

• 3 months ago

I'd go with the independent mechanic. Even if it breaks after 1 year but before 3 years, you could pay to replace it again and its still the same price as paying the dealership for a longer warranty. And odds are, it won't break again in 3 years.

Or you could ask how much for a brand new starter if you're concerned about it being rebuilt. but that's probably a waste of money too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.