Smashed my finger in the car door, should I go the doctor?

Last night I accidentally closed the car door on my thumb last and had to open the door to get it out. It feels slightly numb and the skin feels similar to how your skin would feel after burning yourself. I can bend it but I feel pressure when I do that. The nail is turning black and the back of my thumb is a lil red and purple. Should I go to the doctor? 

it Hurts because of the pressure of blood build up between the nail and thumb.....you can take a needle and heat it til it is fire red then place it on top of the nail above the blood area and turn the needle just like a drill bit until it breaks thru the nail.....when the blood releases you will fill no more pain.....I've used a small drill bit many times and it definitely will do the trick.....the heat actual burns/melts through the nail

Yeah you should go to the doctor. I broke my finger a few months ago and I could move it a bit. I never went to a doctor and now I can’t move it in the cold and it’s stiff to move. So you should defo seek medical attention otherwise it could affect you forever like me

• Edna

No - you're probably okay. If your thumb was broken, you wouldn't be able to bend it; your entire thumb would be swollen; and your thumb  would already be turning a lovely shade of dark reddish-purple and would probably feel "warm" to the touch. Your entire thumb nail might eventually fall off; but don't worry - it will grow back. 

To be honest, it doesnt look broken, its not swollen and the finger itself is not black and blue. You have a small subunginal hematoma that could be drained through as pin hole if it causes pain.

• Damien

well it will heal on its own but if u want it to heal quickly go to the doctor and hell give u something to make it heal quicker

• Tavy

That is a badly bruised finger. If it was broken it would be twice the size and terribly sore.

Try icing it.

Nothing a Doctor can do.

You probably broke a bone... yeah go see doctor.

• Marc

Yes you should. There is a crush injury and you may have some nerve damage. When it comes to your hands you dont want to mess around as they are, well, your hands and you need them. Typically the faster treatment is administered the better the prognosis

• Lili

You should have it checked out.  It doesn't look like it's broken -- you'd expect the nail to look like that even if there's no break -- but it might be a good idea to be sure.