Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOther - Sports · 3 months ago

Is it humiliating when a boy/man gets defeated by a girl/woman in a sport? Or is it the same as when a boy gets defeated by another boy?

When I was 16 I played tennis and I was quite good at it. At some point a 14 year old girl began to come to the club who was quite good and she repeatedly beat me. I just couldn t believe it: she was younger than me and had less experience, yet

I was never able to beat her even though I tried very hard. Those events had a bad effect on my self-esteem and my father was so disappointed in me that he never looked at me in the same way as before. In the following years he often reminded me

that I hadn t even been able to best a girl. That's why I believe girls shouldn't be allowed to compete with boys in any sport: it can be very damaging to boys. Unfortunately that still happens in

wrestling and possibly in other sports.

• Bob

Without knowing how good you and her ended up being I can't say what I think of it,I think it's too bad that your father reacted like he did, and I don't agree that  girls shouldn't be allowed to compete with boys in any sport.

I have never had an experience where i competed against a girl or woman in sports and I lost.

Not sure.

It never happened to me.

i say that if you feel humiliated and then its humiliating but there is really nothing to be humiliated about unless the person is new to it and you have been doing it for a while 

but i mean there are just some people who are going to be better at something than you there are people who are better than me at lots of things and they are younger but i am not humiliated because they are younger and better but i give them good sportsmenship complements like great job or can you teach me or you would be a great coach stuff like that don't bring yourself down about it just keep practicing and you will get better the more that you do practice

• Murzy

Guys have a natural pride that would be hurt when a female beats them.

• Mark

Tennis, no.  Skiing, no.  Gymnastics, no. Swimming, no.  Basketball, maybe.  Baseball (not softball, BASEball), maybe.

If someone is insecure, gender will not matter.