Soul asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 10 months ago

Why are people panicking about the Coronavirus?

I don’t understand why people are acting like it’s a flesh eating bacteria that we are guaranteed to contract and immediately die. The media is just spreading fear.

Well, I have to agree, the media is making it a bigger issue than it is, BUT people are panicking because it is a pandemic, it spreads very quickly and because you can DIE from it. People are just afraid for their health.

How are people supposed to survive without money? Its an idiot thing to do. They should focus on the people who are most at risk and leave the rest alone. They should also immunize everyone who wants it, even if they don't know if it works. It wouldn't be worse than the catastrophe that is about to happen.

There is a whole lot of public excitement over it.  Some call that panic.  Others call it a measured response.  Perhaps some do panic.  Others keep their response level headed and calm. In the end the next one will cause just as much alarm but perhaps we wont panic over it as much as we did this time. 

• Elana

I have yet to see any scientific paper making projections NOT projecting that over half the world's population will experience it within the next 2 years.  Certainly nothing coming out of the Trump administration would pass peer review.

That's not spreading fear.

Of course, 4 billion plus people experiencing some form of the disease is not 4 billion people dying of it.

But if you use the commonly projected 1/30, that means 133 million people dying in the next 2 years.

If you choose to help spread the virus, we certainly have the right to shun you.

I'm not saying that panic is the order of the day, it isn't.  But panic is never useful.  EVER.

What IS useful is to understand the seriousness of a problem and react with appropriate measures.

"Appropriate measures" does not include burying your head in the sand.

EDIT:  Wow, is THIS question dated (03/22/20)!

• Fred

I do not receive my news from commercial television but in printed media.

With printed media I can closely review the language used in news reporting and on  sole exposure to written media, I must personally express I am amazed by the accuracy of all the written media I have received .

However this written media must be very carefully examined and  accurately interpreted.  Having stated this I am amazed at the pure PANNICK our population is in and must interpret that PANNICK  as: our common TV viewer is equipped with very a poor and inaccurate  audio comprehension  level! 

It's a very sad World we live in!

…. Or our visual media likes to broadcast the image of someone in their death rattle and express the very low probability of a lethally at the same instant and wonder why PANNIC fills the streets while  reported news viewer numbers are skyrocketing! 

What would a news reporter do to raise his employer's viewing numbers, ratings, and personal salary?  

I agree people shouldn't panic, but it is somewhat of a big deal and shouldn't be taken lightly. That being said, the people who went panic shopping are kind of ridiculous.

• I don't think anyone is panicking. People are still going about there days with out a care in the world. New Orleans just had about 15 cases and I go to the city almost every weekend and walk in the attraction areas like French Market, The French Quarter and sometimes Bourbon Street without a care in the world and there is no less people that are usually there too. You are talking about the news yet you are the only one here letting the news tell you what's going on, when actually nobody cares

• ?

People are panicking for a number of reasons including:

1.  Initial death rates appeared to be high.  (Death rates being the percent of people who are DOCUMENTED to have a disease and die from it.)   While there is a fairly accurate number of deaths, the documented cases are probably only a small fraction of the total cases.  The majority of the people who had mild symptoms were never tested and counted.  

As the news has indicated, testing in the U.S. has been very, very limited.   The bad news is the limited testing means far more people probably have it than is officially documented, but the good news is it means the fatality rate may be no higher than the flu.

2.  Fear of the unknown.  A.  People fear the unknown.  B. While the deaths from the coronavirus so far are many, many times less than the flu and may never reach the flu rate, because it's a new, unknown virus, there is some potential it may be far worse.

3.  Media loves to make a crisis.  "Carnovirus deaths only 1/1.000 that of the flu" may be true, but it doesn't make good headlines.   

4.  Political agenda.

5.  Some people are high risk for any virus - flu or corona virus and quite understandably are worried.

6.  Over reacting starts a chain reaction.   Threre's no good reason to stockpile 48 rolls of toilet paper, but once stores start running out, everyone starts scrambling to buy it.   Once some colleges start closing down, other colleges have little choice but to follow suit.  

If you know more than Trump about population dynamics (who doesn't?), you may know that populations in specific places grow slowly at first (lag phase), then take off and increase rapidly (log phase) until they reach a maximum (carrying capacity). From there on, they fluctuate around that level. The USA is still in the lag phase. China is in the log phase, possibly near carrying capacity - - I hope. Google "sigmoid growth curve" if you want to learn more.

• Bill

The media is hyping up the virus in the attempt to hurt Trump. They even spread some pretty nasty lies about Trump in process like lying about Trump cutting CDC funding even if in reality Trump increased CDC funding. The media gets really angry about Trump calling them fake news and then they go out and prove him right by lying about anything they can.