Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Can vaccines sometimes cause allergic reactions in dogs?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, absolutely and you can google "dog vaccine reactions" for a list of possible reactions/symptoms.  Your may or may not see any.  They can run from very mild to very severe (but rarely does it get this bad).  

The most common reactions I have seen is with rabies and more so, IF rabies was given WITH any other vaccines at the same time.  Toy breeds (like Chihuahua) are more prone to a rabies reaction due to the fact they are given the SAME SIZE dose as a Great Dane (unlike most other vaccinations).  My breed is prone (as a whole) to vaccine reactions so we NEVER give rabies within 2 weeks of a group of core vaccines.  Virtually nobody (in my dog club circles) gives the Lepto vaccine.  It is offered & my vets have urged me to give it, but I never have, and have never had a problem with any dog getting it in 38+ years of dog ownership.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Not nearly as often as the disease kills 

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Of course some can, in the same way some humans can when given vaccines.... contact your vet if you are concerned

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

My dog is always sore for a couple days after receiving vaccines. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Very certainly they can. And if your dog is experiencing such problems with the same, Then I suggest you call the vet or the vets emergency number immediately The vet knows exactly what vaccine and  the amount he gave to the dog. Therefore  the administering vet is the best person to relieve any problems the dog is experiencing.

Attachment image
    Source(s): Just an ole shepherd his dogs and flock
  • 2 months ago

Yes.   Although I'd suggest it's comparatively rare and far better to get this done, than risk the pup/dog contracting one of the sometimes deadly dog diseases in my opinion.   Should you have a puppy who does react, tell your vet so this doesn't happen again, when boostered.

• 2 months ago

Absolutely,  and some more than others. 

We have great controversy at the moment in the UK over the Lepto vaccine and I would never ever allow any dog I know to have Lepto 4.   I'm afraid we have had serious issues with it. 

• ...Show all comments
    • Veschengro
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

It hasnt posted any questions or answers here since though there was one pretender post though the ip doesnt check out on this one,  it being  in the U.s.a.

• Sara
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes, just like in people. The most common is a Dachshund having a reaction to the leptospirosis vaccine. It was the only one I saw in 10+ years as a vet tech.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes. Keep a close eye on your dog after the vax is done. If anything concerning happens, call your vet right away. 

• CDog
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Absolutely. Make sure to inform your vet so they can give your dog an antihistamine shot next time they have that vaccine.

• 2 months ago

Probably. They might get sick.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.