What type of pen do you prefer?

Gel? Rollerball? Ballpoint?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

I find gel rollers a little too smeary, especially on a smooth writing/drawing surface.  For everyday writing and some drawing I like the Pilot precise V7 "fine" and its little brother the V5 extra fine.  (They are roller ball pens with a tank of liquid ink, not exactly ballpoint pens in the sense of the BIC pens you get for free with the name of the plumbing shop printed on them.)  For a little while they (Pilot) made a 1.0mm extra bold ink roller ball pen, but they appear to have dropped that line. 

For medium fine permanent work the Sharpie Permanent Marker "ULTRA FINE POINT" works well enough, though it will soak into any absorbent writing surface and leave little dot at the beginning and ends of one's pen strokes.  This does not happen on a hard plastic writing surface.  That is to say that a crosshatch mark or the lowercase letter l will have a small dot at each end if you are writing on news print or even copy paper, but not if you are writing on a white beach bottle or a bag of chips.

For graceful lines I really like the Pilot Varsity pen.  It makes an expressive variable width line.  Flip the nib upside down to get a fery fine line, and you can even drag it to get a bold line.  It is a basically disposable nib pen.  It's almost a fountain pen, but it isn't made to be refilled, but I figured out a way:

You take a pair of needle nosed pliers, and grip the nib gently on the sides behind the flanges, and pull it straight off the pen body, that is, grip the metallic nib holding the long axis of the pliers perpendicular to the axis of the pen shaft and slide it off of the end of the pen's body.  There is a wedge of black plastic that supports the nib that extends from the barrel of the body of the pen which also serves as the the ink reservoir.  That black wedge is what you need to remove in order to deposit more ink.

Do it like this:  After you've slid the metal tip off as described grip the black plastic wedge by its sides with the needle nose pliers and pull straight out.  The ink cartridge should sort of snap out.  There is a baffling mechanism that looks like a stack of disks with a rod going down the middle, this should pull out cleanly too.  Use a dropper to fill it up this way: 1/4 volume higgins india ink, 1/2 volume higgins eternal ink, and 1/4 volume empty air.  That is, only fill it up to NEAR where the baffling mechanism comes down to, or else it will squirt ink when you recap it.  Okay, put the cap (cartridge) back on by sliding the baffling mechanism back into the tube, and snap it down with one final push.  It should click.  Before you slide the nib back on you should check for ink flow against a paper towel.  The top of the black wedge has a shaft of felt running through it and across the top of the wedge, and you can blot this against a paper towel to get it going.  Now is your chance to clean your nib.  Fill a 2 liter bottle with a squirt of greased lightning (detergent) and a little clear ammonia, and hot water.  Cap it up, and shake it or kick it around the room like a football.  After a while pour the contents into a tea strainer, and rinse off the nib.  Slide the nib back onto the black wedge, and draw on paper towels until your ink runs dark.  Don't use pure india ink because it solidifies too quickly in the pen, and the eternal ink all by itself is not waterproof at all, but the combination of the two is just right.  Somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4 india ink, but less than half india ink.

From there you ought to be good for another twenty thousand miles, and you can refill like this three and four times before the nib wears out.  ;-)

• 6 months ago

I dont know terribly much about penis.

I do know you have to bring one to the ball point.

I just dont know what that means. *licks self*

• 6 months ago

I prefer ballpoint pens.

• Banana
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

I really like sparkle pop glitter pens from micheals. But usually rollerball pens (the ones with the tanks of liquid ink)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Only pen you should be using is finepoint or inkwell.

• 6 months ago

The 5 Best Pens

Pilot G2 Retractable Premium Gel Ink Roller Ball Pens.

uni-ball Jetstream RT Fine Point Retractable Roller Ball Pens.

Cross Classic Century Ballpoint Pen.

Pilot Dr. Grip Limited Retractable Rolling Ball Gel Pen.

Lamy Safari Fountain Pen.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.