Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicLyrics · 2 months ago

Is a song still copyrighted if I own the CD?

I was planning on using a song by Lady Gaga as my companies' theme tune, am I allowed? People say it's copyrighted, but I bought the CD with my own money, so surely, it should belong to me now?

Update:

I bought that CD, I paid what I needed to for the song, how is it not mine now?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No.  The copyright remains with Lady Gaga.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Tony B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I don't know what you mean by a song being “copyrighted”.

Obviously, unless you're an idiot, copyright to a song belongs to whoever composed it.

You can't reproduce, post, copy or reproduce in any way a song, poem, #cript, screenplay, text etc unless you either own the copyright or have permission of the copyright holder.

• 2 months ago

Buying a recording gives you ONLY the right to play it for your own personal enjoyment. You have zero rights to the intellectual property. You cannot use the material for any commercial use without obtaining the permission of its owner.

• 2 months ago

Your purchase entitles you to use the song for your own enjoyment, nothing more. It does not entitle you to use for commercial purposes. Grow up.

• Tony B
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

How are things with you my friend? We're self-isolating as we're “vulnerable”. Some people hear seem unaware of any risks to their health (and other people's). Stay safe.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Dog
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

You didn't really buy a song. You bought a license to keep a copy of that audio data for your own use. Oh, and you bought a small plastic disc to keep the data on.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Its like if you pirate the cd. Its still the artists creation and legal influence, even if its on YOUR device. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You're not really that stupid, are you?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.