Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

What should I do about my daughters birthday?

My daughter is turning one at the end of the month. There’s over a thousand cases of the Coronavirus in my state and her birthday party was supposed to be this Saturday. It was just going to be family so about 6 of us including me. Should I wait until summertime to have her actual party or should I just have my parents come celebrate on her actual birthday? I want to do something special, especially for her first birthday... but gatherings are not recommended and they’re advising people to stay 6 feet apart...

• L

Just have a small family birthday party for her.  She'll only be 1 and she will NEVER remember all of this anyway.

Tell her, "Sorry, we'll just have to celebrate next year."

Tough noogies, I guess....

Why would you even consider risking that for a baby, that probably won't even remember it.

Since 1st birthday gathering are basically for the parents (kids don't know what's going on) then just have your parents over and take lots of pictures.  You can send the pictures to others by mail or online so they can enjoy, too.  I didn't have parties for my 3 children because it was confusing to them and they preferred smaller groups.  If you really want a big celebration, wait a few months and celebrate.  I hope your daughter has a sweet 1st birthday.

I do realize how special it is to be celebrating your child's first birthday. I get it oh, I have two children myself and birthday parties were very special in our house.

Howsoever, that was when there was not a worldwide pandemic. I would postpone your daughter's birthday party and just do something special at home with your household Members Only.

You see, planning a birthday party means that you have to go out and either order a cake or by the ingredients for a cake, by the candles, by the birthday gifts and everything else that goes along with making a birthday party happen. Your guests will also not want to arrive empty-handed, so they will have to go out and purchase a gift or perhaps a card or maybe go to the bank as well. This party has the ability to expose everybody you deeply love to the virus. It is not wise to be planning a party and having people leave their homes and run errands to attend.

I made a huge to do when my son turned 1 year old. I came to realize it was me who wanted to celebrate with a birthday party, as my child would never even have a memory of it.

• GB

If the 6 people  include  your husband or partner and the baby, that's 3 guests. If you are allowed to have visitors to your house, but just to have your parents then the other guest might feel slighted.  You could buy a birthday cake, have a small  party for who ever lives in your house, and film it. 

If you live in California abortion might still be  an option.

Your one year old is not going to know the difference, have a small party with just the people in your household.

Last thing you want is your older parents gathered with a crowd of youngsters. The elders are the most vulnerable age group to the COVID19 virus.

Your daughter is one; she won't know the difference. Celebrate later, after the virus pandemic subsides.

• Tulip

There is a health crisis and you are worried about cake for a clueless one year old. Are you really that dumb?