Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 2 months ago

What happens if you leave a houseplant unattended for 6 months?

I may have been an idiot and left a houseplant (I wouldn't be able to say what type it is, maybe an iris flower - forgive me, horticulture isn't my forte) in a house I won't be returning to until September. It's in the window so will have light everyday but obviously no water. I'm, of course, not expecting it to survive, but just wondering what I can be expecting to go back to in September - just a dead plant or a ton of mouldy yuck? Should I make a point of going back sooner to get rid of it (not preferable as I'm quite a long way away and obviously won't be travelling in the current circumstances) or will it be ok to leave all summer?

• patty

i

was away for a month but my plant still survived.

I doubt there will be any mess to clean up. The plant will simply dehydrate. When you return, just pick it up and throw it into your garden space. 

• Scott

It will die if it isn't watered, unless it's a cactus.

It will simply dry up. It won't mold, and even if it did, that mold wouldn't survive without water either. You'll just come home to a dried up pot, plant and root system. 

It's unlikely its an iris--since they don't normally grow indoors. 

You will come home to a dried out pot of soil, perhaps with some brown withered up vegetation.  Due to lack of water, there will be zero moisture for any "mouldy yuck". A house plant cannot live without water for 6 months.

It will simply die and dry up. No muck.

By the time you get back it will be completely desiccated like a mummy and the only evidence of its desperate bid for life will be the withered remains of some growth.  You won't be travelling anywhere before September soon.  The lockdown is coming.

You can get one of those self watering bulbs. It’s basically an inverted vase that’s supposed to keep the soul moist when you can’t water it. 

Without water, it’ll most likely be dead by the time you get back. Doubt any mold will grow since the sunlight will kill it and it’ll be too dry and bright for mold to grow. 

Some plants might survive but if it's an Iris. I don't think so. They are very sensitive

• Ian

Just tell me your address and I'll go straight over and water it for you....